Is this board slower than cold molasses or is it me?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Is this board slower than cold molasses or is it me?

Post by n9gik »

I have a fairly fast connection. Several times faster than dialup. But accessing ANYTHING on this board is painfully slow. I may set for a mintue or more waiting for it to load. Anyplace else I go it's no problem.

I've tried IE, Firefox, and Opera 8. None seem to make a difference. I click on a page, go get a can of pop, drink it, come back, and the thing still has not loaded.

This evening it is taking close to a minute to open any page.
Alex
Site Administrator

Re: Is this board slower than cold molasses or is it me?

Post by Alex »

n9gik wrote:I have a fairly fast connection. Several times faster than dialup. But accessing ANYTHING on this board is painfully slow. I may set for a mintue or more waiting for it to load. Anyplace else I go it's no problem.

I've tried IE, Firefox, and Opera 8. None seem to make a difference. I click on a page, go get a can of pop, drink it, come back, and the thing still has not loaded.

This evening it is taking close to a minute to open any page.
Your the only one I've ever heard complain about the speed in the 2-3 years that i've had this board up and running. I would tend to shy away from it being a problem on my server's end.

-Alex
jim202

Re: Is this board slower than cold molasses or is it me?

Post by jim202 »

I too have always found this site very slow. I may point the finger at my ISP as part of the problem. I have noticed that several sites, including this one and the apco international site are very slow from the house. If I try them from work, it's much better. The house connection is a DSL that works good for most sites.

So it maybe how the ISP has their network set up. Sites like Yahoo and others load fast.

Jim
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

This should really no longer be a problem - as it's now sitting on a 20mbit pipe.

-Alex
n9gik
Site Supporter

Since I changed ISP's it is much better

Post by n9gik »

Since I posted the original question back in June I have changed ISP's and the problem went away. For some reason it had a problem with this particular site.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.