HT-1250 replacement options ?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
timleon

HT-1250 replacement options ?

Post by timleon »

Looking for a non /\/\ replacement for my VHF Ht-1250. I've narrowed my choices down to:

Kenwood TK-280K
&
Vertex VX-920 w/ limited keypad.

any feedback on either of these?
n9gik
Site Supporter

I like the Vertex but would go Kenwood

Post by n9gik »

I can't speak to the specific radios. I have Kenwood 270 and 272's , and a friend has a couple Vertex. I wouldn't be afraid of either radio. However, I have better local service for Kenwood. Also, I have been reading and hearing that Vertex tech support has gotten more difficult to work with.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
timleon

Post by timleon »

Thanks,
Pricing is looking to be fairly similar between the two, the Kenwood appears to be 75-100 more, depending on options, based on the ONE kenwood dealer who has actually provided me with a price :evil:

I may go with the Vertex, only because of the available dual band RX module available.
john weaver

HT 1250 Replacement

Post by john weaver »

I have had both the Kenwood TK 2170 and the Motorola HT 1250. Personnally I nuch prefer the Kenwood. It is much more user friendly and you can program it yourself without jumping through hoops. I paid less than $500.00 for my Kenwood brand new. That included the good Battery and a Rapid Charger. Feel free to contact me and I will be Happy to talk to you about this Radio
Thanks, John
Splat

Post by Splat »

Kenwood. Kenwood. Kenwood.
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

I have both a Kenwood TK-280 ver 2 and a TK-290 and they run circles around the 1250's I owned. The RX sensitivity on the Kenwoods is miles above the Pro series, and the radios are built much better.

I would concur that Kenwood's support is in a class by itself compared to Vertex. I hate sending radios to the monkeys at VXSTDUSA. They're about as worthless as the south of the border shop that Ma M uses for depot service nowadays. And their lack of dealer around here that are full service (Atlanta) is a turn off, not to mention their factory rep is a LYING TURD for this area. Sorry too, because VX Standard has some top notch radios. I have a VX-510 and love it. Hope it never breaks.

The Kenwood TK-2180 is also a nice choice if you swing it. Very solidly built radio. Think of it as a "modernized" TK-280.
Splat

Post by Splat »

The TK3180 is also a damn good portable. Excellent Rx and Tx performance, great features, the s/w is Windows based, easy to understand and navigate, and it won't cost you a left nut of sign a contract like with Motorola. Vertex we stay away from because of the service and .... honestly their stuff just -feels- like modified HAM gear.
radio259

Post by radio259 »

:beer: VERTEX. The 920 limited keypad will do 500+ channels, and with the option board, MDC1200 encode and decode. it will also decode DTMF ani on the same channel with mdc1200. We found that out by a programming error which worked to our benifit.

Pricing in line with motorola, and speaker mikes that are submersible.

PB
Splat

Post by Splat »

That reminds me. The 2180/3180 can be fitted with an MDC board. Cheers.