Indoor Antenna solutions?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
Alex
Site Administrator
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:00 pm

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:29 pm

Ok - I recently aquired a VHF Motorola Spectra A7 that I'm using inside my appartment. I'm not allowed to setup external antenna, so that's out. I can't do glass mount since these are 2+ pane windows either. I used to use a mag mount antenna on top of a lamp, however, I'd like to find a more elegent looking solution.

Any Ideas?

-Alex

User avatar
k2xm
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Saco, Maine

Post by k2xm » Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:02 pm

On 2002-02-08 11:29, alex wrote:
Ok - I recently aquired a VHF Motorola Spectra A7 that I'm using inside my appartment. I'm not allowed to setup external antenna, so that's out. I can't do glass mount since these are 2+ pane windows either. I used to use a mag mount antenna on top of a lamp, however, I'd like to find a more elegent looking solution.

Any Ideas?

-Alex
Alex,

Do you have access to an attic? I've use a 5/8 wave magmount on a metal tray with good results from inside the attic. That was how I operated on 2 and 440 the entire 8 1/2 years that I lived in Rochester.
Pete
K2XM
Saco, Maine

Alex
Site Administrator
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:00 pm

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:12 pm

No, sadly I don't. The only place I have to put things is in a small room, with a window...

On top of these restrictions, I am on the 1st floor too.

Right now I have a magmount stuck to the external DES box since that's about the only thing that it will stick to well. It works, but is no where near optimal, or neat.

-Alex

willbartlett
Administrator
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Post by willbartlett » Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:36 pm

How about a J-pole. You could hang it from the ceiling, even disguise it as a plant :').

Simple to make, you could probably hang it in the window too. You don't have tinted windows do you? The tint sometimes can act as a rf reflector. Learned this the hard way with glass mounts on non factory tint in news vehicles.

Good luck, Will

Alex
Site Administrator
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:00 pm

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:41 pm

Hrm. That sounds like an interesting Idea. I'd have to get one of my roommate to help me out, but that might be a possiblity.

I could make it look like a plant, but I have a feeling it would look quite out of place in my room... (I'm a college student... I don't think I could keep a plant alive for very long... Might be deciving....)

-Alex

willbartlett
Administrator
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Post by willbartlett » Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:30 pm

Well, if you're in college, just make it look like the "right" kind of "plant" wink,wink, nudge,nudge, know what I mean.

73, Will

sorry, couldn't resist

Alex
Site Administrator
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:00 pm

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:00 pm

On 2002-02-08 21:30, willbartlett wrote:
Well, if you're in college, just make it look like the "right" kind of "plant" wink,wink, nudge,nudge, know what I mean.

73, Will

sorry, couldn't resist
Sigh :grin:

I stay far away from that stuff... and alcohol. I take enough of those people to the hospital to know better.

-Alex
(not feeling the need to defend myself, but thought i would share regardless...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alex on 2002-02-08 22:01 ]</font>

User avatar
vcaruso
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Passaic County, NJ

Post by vcaruso » Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:08 am

Alex the last post has the right idea, wrong plant though.

My last employer was based out of NYC & I needed an idoor antenna. Hiding it wasnt an issue but a copper Jpole was an eyesore none the less.

I picked up a Fake cactus plant that just about fit the antenna and as Emeril would say BAM :grin:

People were none the wiser once I was done with the operation.

HumHead
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:06 pm

Post by HumHead » Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:09 pm

Alex:

I used to make 1/4 wave bent ground plane antennas for indoor or outdoor use for next to nothing.

Just take a SO-239 connector and solder a 1/4 wave vertical radiator element to the center pin (brass hobby rod works great). Next I cut four radials at least a 1/4 wavelength long and soldered them into the four mounting holes on the jack, and bent them down at a 45 degree angle to present a 50 Ohm RF impedence. Clip and tune the center radiator, and your off!

To keep it versatile, I used to mount the whole mess into a PVC end cap, so that you could just stick it on a piece of PVC pipe as a mast, stand, or wall bracket.

Maybe even make a coat tree with an antenna on top! :P

Alex
Site Administrator
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:00 pm

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:15 am

HumHead wrote: Alex:

I used to make 1/4 wave bent ground plane antennas for indoor or outdoor use for next to nothing.

Just take a SO-239 connector and solder a 1/4 wave vertical radiator element to the center pin (brass hobby rod works great). Next I cut four radials at least a 1/4 wavelength long and soldered them into the four mounting holes on the jack, and bent them down at a 45 degree angle to present a 50 Ohm RF impedence. Clip and tune the center radiator, and your off!

To keep it versatile, I used to mount the whole mess into a PVC end cap, so that you could just stick it on a piece of PVC pipe as a mast, stand, or wall bracket.

Maybe even make a coat tree with an antenna on top! :P

Thanks for the advice. Maybe after exams I'll get around to thinking about making one - that seems easier than the jpole for now.

-Alex

nickdap
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:36 am
Location: Sydney, AUS

Post by nickdap » Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:39 am

how does RF go with plants? Would it kill them? Would they improve pattern? lol. i want to send a crawler up a mast would i need to clip it every so oftern and not allow it to wrap round the antenna?
Thanks nick

PS Great board alex

nessman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Spencerport, NY

Post by nessman » Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:52 am

The best solution?? Buy a house. Interest rates are at all-time lows and there's plenty of decent houses that can be had for a good price in Rochester.

Alex
Site Administrator
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:00 pm

Post by Alex » Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:48 pm

Why would I want a mortage payment when for $451/month I get all utilities included, not to mention central air :)

I'd like you to find me a mortage payment that is that rate and includes all utilities (Electric, Phone, Cable...etc)

-Alex

nessman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Spencerport, NY

Post by nessman » Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:51 pm

Alex wrote:Why would I want a mortage payment when for $451/month I get all utilities included, not to mention central air :)

I'd like you to find me a mortage payment that is that rate and includes all utilities (Electric, Phone, Cable...etc)

-Alex
Damn... not a bad deal!! Just wait til you're married and have kids though!!

User avatar
rescue161
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:51 pm

Post by rescue161 » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:04 pm

MY GOD, I WISH,
$950 here without utilities...

D.C. SUCKS for housing costs...
Scott

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest