GMRS scramble

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
kerr

GMRS scramble

Post by kerr »

I found that my rhino 530 has a scramble mode on it and it makes the transmission sound digital on a radio that isn’t scrambled. I believe this to be “CTCSS”. There seems to be a few other types of scrambling types out there. Is there one that prevents others from walking on your transmission. Sort like a filter. Making radios that have that particular encryption the only ones able to talk to each other?
Amateurs train to get it right; professionals train to never get it wrong.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Re: CTCSS

Post by n9gik »

Rather than rewrite stuff, here is some info from Wikipedia on CTCSS (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTCSS) :

In telecommunications, Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or CTCSS is a circuit that is used to reduce the annoyance of listening to other users on a shared two-way radio communications channel. Where more than one user group is on the same channel, (called co-channel users,) CTCSS filters out other users if they are using a different CTCSS tone or no CTCSS.

Instead of turning on the receive audio for any signal, the two-way radio receiver's audio turns on only in the presence of the correct tone. This is akin to the use of a lock on a door. A carrier squelch or noise squelch receiver is unlocked and will let any signal in. A receiver with CTCSS locks out all signals except ones encoded with the correct tone.

So no, what you are hearing is not CTCCS. It may very well be a scrambler, and it may require CTCSS to work.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
ohgary
Site Supporter

Re: GMRS scramble

Post by ohgary »

Your rhino doesnt have any scramble capability. It does have digital squelch, this does affect the audio.