Time for new radios - need advice!

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in a topic below - Also used for board announcements.
motor59

Time for new radios - need advice!

Post by motor59 »

Just bought a new truck (Toyota Tacoma), and it doesn't look like there will be enough room for my Spectra's anymore. :(
I guess it's time to look down some new avenues.

My wish list is:
A radio that's able to combine the VHF and UHF controls into a single remote-mounted head.
Also, since it'll contain both PD & FD channels, it needs to be type accepted for operation in the public safety bands.
At least 48 modes for each radio.
Alpha-numeric is a must - the more characters the better.
(Relatively) compact control head. Something no larger than an A-7 spectra or thereabouts.

You get the idea.

I looked at the Kenwood website, and the TK-690 series looks like it's a good fit...but there are probably plenty of other products out there.

Any suggestions?
N3UHD

Post by N3UHD »

It seems to me that Kenwood is your best choice.
They offer single control/dual transceiver packages with lots of features. They are, as I'm sure you know, NOT cheap! But, they carry a good warranty, and perform well.
I don't think you'd regret buying the 'wood.

N3UHD
Bob
N3UHD
PCIA #38104
...if it ain't broke..don't fix it...
http://www.busrad.com
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters
jim202

Post by jim202 »

Have you thought about mounting the trunk mount radios under the rear seats or on the rear seat floor. Just make a sheet of 1/4 plywood to go on top of the radios and then put a rug over it all. Works great, have don it to a number of different trucks.

You can even mount the radios on a sheet of plywood and then use short screws to tie the plywood down to the floow rug. It.s not a secure mount, but it keeps the radio from sliding around. The rug over it all puts it all out of site.

Jim
motor59

Post by motor59 »

Jim-
The problem lies in the dash setup in this truck. I can maybe fit one remote head in front of the ashtray, but that's about it, unless I want to mount them on top of the dash. Not really keen on that idea.

The rest of the radio will fit nicely either under or behind the seat, I think.

Nothing much on ebay right now for TK-690 radios...anybody familiar with them want to give me the bad news as to what this is gonna cost?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've seen the x90 setups go new for over a thousand. The x30s are a lot easier to find though. I have a 630/830 setup in my car, and I love it. I'm thinking about getting rid of it though, as I don't have a need for lowband anymore.