VX-900 Programming

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
Carl

VX-900 Programming

Post by Carl »

I am trying to find out how to enable front panel programming of the Vertex VX-900. I have the PC programmer, however there are occasions where being able to field program would be very convenient.

If anyone can help with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Carl
Carl

VX-900 programming

Post by Carl »

I managed to track the info down elsewhere. No longer looking for a reply. Thanks, Carl.
MRFLASHPORT

vx-900

Post by MRFLASHPORT »

Is the vx-900 field programmable?

I just bought one and I have all the lastest software for it. That would be very nice if that can be done.
Carl

VX-900

Post by Carl »

Yes, there is a way to do field programming. You need to short pins 3 and 7 of the external mic connector, then hold down the lamp and PTT button while powering the radio on. You will see "FIELD" in the display. (The "lamp" button is the bottom button below PTT.) Pins 3 and 7 are the 2nd and 4th pin down on the left side as you are looking into the connector on the side of the radio.

Then using the channel knob, select the function you want to program, and using the top and side Set buttons change the entries. For frequency, use the toggle switch to select MHz, tenths, hundredths and the top/side set buttons to change the applicable item. (The side "set" button is the top button above the PTT, and the top "set" button is the orange button.) After changing an entry, turn the channel knob to another position to "enter" the change. Power the radio off and back on to go back to normal operating mode.

With 512 channels, I really didn't need the ability to change frequency all that much, but being able to change/set tones in the field is significant for me. I wish that Vertex had made that a "user" accessible function.

Carl
Tom in D.C.

VX-900 programming...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Can someone tell me why on the receive channels, using the CE39 software, the program wants to read out 153.95000 as 153.94999? This doesn't seem to happen on the transmit frequencies. Other than this glitch the platform seems extremely stable.

I've been using an old Toshiba T3300SL 386 at 25 mHz which works fine, but its display just quit so now I'm using a P60 which has only DOS 6.22 loaded and works fine. I tried the CE39 program on my Toshiba Satellite which is a high-speed machine. It loads fine into the computer but gives absolutely no response when I try to get it to work.

Carl, interesting about the field programming. Like you, I can't imagine ever running out of channels, but it's still good to know.

I love my VX-900.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
Carl

VX-900

Post by Carl »

Tom,

I programmed the specific frequency you referred to, then read it back out, and it was just fine, not rounded.

I have experienced the rounding problem with another Yaesu/Vertex product only while using an old Toshiba laptop. I think your problem is related to the computer, as opposed to the radio.

Great radio, I've got both the VHF and UHF and love them both.

Carl.
Tom in D.C.

VX-900 programming

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Carl: Thanks for the tip about the Toshiba. I did some supplementary programming with the P60 but I didn't pay attention to the rounding problem, but now I will.

We've got a big hamfest at Timonium MD the end of this month where I plan to try to pick up a cheap, working, 386/486 laptop. Now I know that it won't be a Toshiba!

Regards,
Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
Tom in D.C.

VX-900 Programming...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

My dealer sent me the W98 version of CE39 which runs fine -- and slower -- as you might expect, compared to the DOS version. But now the mouse works and I can run it on the high speed computers so I don't need to buy another DOS laptop.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
c.ric

VX-800/VX-900 field programming

Post by c.ric »

I am trying to program the VX-800 in field programming mode. I am able to change all settings but unable to add additional channel slots. Currently, I am utilizing only two channels. Any suggestions? If I must use the programmer, does anyone know the pinout of the radio?

Thanks,
Ric