VX-537 and MDC

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
Libuff

VX-537 and MDC

Post by Libuff »

Hey guys, new to this board, new to non-M radios... i am in desperate need of a new portable, and have fallen in love with the VX-537 after a NYPD PO let me fiddle with his for a few minutes... the ONLY problem i have, and it is quite a BIG problem, is that there are a few places in the UHF world that REQUIRE MDC.

is there a way to install a 3rd party MDC encoder? would like decode, but can live without... also, i am quite a novice toward installing jumpers and stuff. so the easier the better... tho i am not against illiciting the help of a tech to install stuff.

and if there is, can it do more than 1 different MDC code?

help me guyz, im looking to drop the big M forever... getting too costly to maintain my Motorola fleet.
NodrogCop

Post by NodrogCop »

Most non-Moto radios can have aftermarket boards installed allowing for use of MDC. The big manufacturer I can think of right off the top of my head is Midian. Check with them -- I know VX900's are board capable, but don't know about the rest. I have no idea how easy or hard they are to install.

Hope that helps.

Gordon
STD

Post by STD »

Hi,
I use VX-900 VHF and I equipped the Midian MDC Board in it.
I would like to tell that my Astro Saber 3 can display the VX-900 ID.
If you want your Vertex can send and receive (decode) the ID, I suggest there is another MDC Board you can use.
Please go to visit Midian and Cimarron Web Site :
http://www.midians.com
http://www.cimtechcorp.com
# Please noted the [cimarron] product VMDE-200 is a encode/decode MDC Board.
STD
Libuff

Post by Libuff »

I'm hearing rumors that the VDME-200 and VME-100 does work on the VX-537...

im awaiting official word from the Cimarron Rep in regards... will update as i know...
radio259

Post by radio259 »

The Cimmeron board will encode and decode in the vx537. Along with alias tags if you wish.

Not sure on the cost. We have some on order but I have not seen them as of yet.

The vx900/800/537/420 series ports will encode/decode.

The vx4200 mobile will also with the board.

the 420 port has two tone paging. We need to verify you can stilll either mdc or page on any given channel.

PB
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

Will the VX-920 take freqs out of it's band? Like 70cm ham freqs.
RadioTweester

VX-920 Range

Post by RadioTweester »

silverbk,

The CE59 software offers both a UHF A (400-470MHz) and UHF D (450-520MHz) as default files for both the VX820 and VX920.
I haven't seen any "A" versions out yet though.

I'm guessing Vertex will do the same thing they did with the VX4200 and release the "A" version at a later date.

-Tom