vx-920 and VME-100 issue

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
rjbartholomew

vx-920 and VME-100 issue

Post by rjbartholomew »

I've recently run into an issue when trying to use a VX-920 with a Cimmaron VME-100 plug-in ANI board.

When using the radio mounted PTT, all is fine.

When a vertex speaker mic is added, all non-ANI flagged channels cannot have PTT initiated via the speaker mic.

Tried this with multiple VX920's, all have the latest firmware (1.19), same issue.

Swapped in a MIDIAN electronics ANI-FVX board...no problem...

Now, does anyone know how to make a Midian board give a sidetone during PTT/ANI rather than the "go ahead" beep....we've got a bunch of people stuck on their motorola's with PTT sidetone.

I'm taking this up with VX, but figured that I'd try to see if anyone here has experienced this.

Thanks,
Bob
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

Sidenote:
Did you happen to bother Cimmeron with the VME-100 problem??? If not you might want to. http://www.cimtechcorp.com/tech_contact.asp

They got back to me the next day when I sent some questions related to a VMDE-200 board.

-Tom
radio259

Post by radio259 »

:beer: You close to Pittsburgh??

I have the vmde1200 board in mine. Yes there seem to be some "bugs" not worked out by vertex.

Overall, I think it is a great radio. have not tried the speakermike on mine.

On channels I have mdc1200 selected, I cannot program a soft key for talk around, or low power. Have not tried any other options, except dual watch scan, which works OK.

Might be a memory issue when using the option boards. My low battery alert does not work with the vmde1200 installed.

Paul B
Nittfo

Post by Nittfo »

I have similar issues with the new vx-920; here's the configuration:
VX-924 (w/ 4 PF keys only) + VMDE-200 + SRX-4 Vhf RX.
When MDC-1200 option is programmed for a given channel, the scan function for the group is disabled, and the PF keys don't function. When the MDC-1200 option is de-selected, all is fine. Could this possibly be a firmware issue? Still loading in all the frequencies into groups.
Rotary knob set for group select, PF(C) is channel DOWN, PF(D) is channel UP....

Gene
radio259

Post by radio259 »

Probably is a firmware issue. I discussed this with our "Vertex King" in the shop today. he aske me to e-mail our tech contact at vertex about this issue.

I program my radios I own with a softkey for talk around, so I can load more channels. Most of our customers, 99%, use another channel allocation for talk around, so they may not know about this at vertex.

Hpoe this is it not too stupid of a question, but can you put two options boards in the radio??? have not looked into that yet, but would actually work for me also.

If I do have a soft key programmed for t/a or low power, it will work on a channel that mdc is not programmed. But, when you select another channel, it is still in t/a, or low power. Need to turn off, then back on to "reset" the radio.

My chief is aware of a few "quirks" with these radios, but he still is going to purchase more.

PB
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

Regarding the PF key issue. Check out Chapter 3 page 23 of the VMDE-200 manual http://www.cimtechcorp.com/download_manuals.asp

On an MDC/GE Star channel with each press of [A] the display should scroll through Alert --> VSC --> Check
[B] will scroll through the last 10 IDs then through all the IDs stored to allow you to perform Alert Voice Selective calling and Radio Check. If you hold it down instead of pressing it you can enter the 4 digit ID manually.
[C] clears selected function/action. [D] is disabled.

You may also notice that the button use on power-up for buttons A-D (hold and power on) also no longer works no matter if an MDC channel is selected or not.

Has anyone had any issues with the CE-73 software refusing to read MDC unit IDs from the radio or conflicts in using it with Windows XP???

-Tom
Nittfo

Post by Nittfo »

Radio259

I do have both boards installed in my portable, the VHF RX function works well, but still have issues when using the MDC1200 function. I have one 4-channel group where MDC1200 is desired. From the posts here, when using a MDC enabled frequency, the PF key are reassigned to MCD functions (I'm using the 3 position toggle for TA-None-Scan). PF(C) and PF(D) were channel UP, channel DOWN; under MDC rules these keys do nothing but emit a beep when pressed. To temporarily bypass this until I understand more, I've setup another group with non MDC1200 functionality; and my PF's work as assigned...

Gene
radio259

Post by radio259 »

:beer: I am running XP pro on my Dell laptop. So far no problems. I was ready to smash the laptop, but found out my Norton virus software was messing it up. Uninstalled the Norton, now it works great.

I have programmed a few VX510's and had no problem.

Overall, I am happy with the 920's performance. My fie chief does not care about the problem with the soft keys. He has talk around programmed as another channel to try to keep the radios "Idiot proof" for all to use with ease.

Paul B

(Frank, if you are out ther, I got both batteries, will call this week)