Hey guys need help with CE52

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
shane1041

Hey guys need help with CE52

Post by shane1041 »

Hey guys I have a little problem, I currently use CE 39-CE44-CE52-CE59 Software...I had to load all of this on my desktop to program due to the fact I have no serial port on my laptop....So I went and bought a IBM Thinkpad380 with windows 98 on it . I have loaded all of the software and I can read and write the radio just fine however with the CE52 Software however when I save what I have wrote , I then cannot open it pack up . I get the open program with, but CE52 is not a option, all of the other CE programs are there. This is no big deal but I like to try to save everything . Is there a easy fix ?
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

Well... I have 2 ideas.

Make sure you have the newest revision of the CE-52 software.
What you're describing sounds more like a corrupted program rather than programming error but who knows.
I had a problem with Version 1.01 of the CE-59, got the 2.08 updated version and it works great.

The other idea (if you don't have a lot of channels programmed).
Write the "default" file in to the radio (thus blanking all your current memories).
Disconnect the programming cable, power-up the radio and wait for it to complete the selftest.
Power off the radio and try reading from it.
If it does read, try to save this under a file under a new name (like abc) so the default file doesn't get messed up.

If you can save, reopen and reprogram to the radio using the the "abc" file, the first file you'd created most likely had a problem.
Modify the "abc" file with your freqs and tones and use it to program the radio.

If the "abc" file won't save or reopen, the CE-52 program has an error in it. Try dumping and reloading it, if that doesn't work call a local dealer or Vertex and get the newest software version.

Just out of curiosity what option boards doe the radio have in it (if any)?

I hope something works!
-Tom
swems208

VX3200V (C) CE52 Software

Post by swems208 »

I tired the opening, saving of the default file and it seemed to work. So just to make sure it was working I programed 20 channels and loaded to the radio. Then when I tired to read it I got to block 57 and it stopped reading and went back to the default start. Guess this might mean my program is faulty?
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

You might try this cable tester first (to eliminate a bad board on the programmer) [www.kc8unj.com] then [other software] and there is the loopback tester.
Leave the radio UNHOOKED when you run it.
If it passes you have 1 of 2 things
1. a cable problem on the VPL (or the adapter) check continuity
2. a conflict between the radio firmware and the software.

Were you using the correct default program for the band? v, ud (maybe ua)?

What is the revision of the CE-52 and what is the revision of the radio firmware???

-Tom
swems208

Post by swems208 »

Ok, I believe I linked into the first question without fully explaining myself....sorry. I have a VX3200V which I cannot read, but can write to. I am running CE52E 4.5. While reading, when I get to block 57 it stops reading and goes to the default screen. If I keep trying it will finally read the radio but it is after I have tired to read it many times. Any suggestion?