vx-900

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
azFIREguy

vx-900

Post by azFIREguy »

Can you feild program a vx-900 with the ck-9 key even if the radio doesn't have a key pad? Kinda like the tk-290 radios from kenwood.
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

The cable for this radio is very cheap on Ebay, and easy to build yourself.

The software can probably be downloaded if you know where to look. It's a very small dos program.

With a radio with capabilities like that, you need to get the software and program it properly.

YMMV

Phil
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

I have all the cables and the ce39 program but I was looking for info on the ck-9 programming key to program on the fly. there are a whole lot of lap tops on the fire line
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

Here are the instructions on HOW to program. http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/niicd/docs/vx ... d_prog.pdf

The info I found said the field programmer shorts pins 3 and 7 together to enter field programming mode. Additional info said to push and hold the PTT and LAMP when you power-up.

I have NOT looked at the schematic for this radio and I have no idea if this will work.

USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If it does work, please let me know and I'll add it to my "successful mods" notebook.

-Tom
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

Here's a link to some pics of the programmer.
[dead]

-Tom

DEAD LINK Checked 05/30/2007
firephoto39

Re: vx-900

Post by firephoto39 »

I nuked the db on my site so here's the pictures.

VX900 key

VX900 key

VX900 key
Last edited by firephoto39 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

I haven't been here in awhile and just saw your post. I have sent you a PM with a couple questions.
firephoto39

Post by firephoto39 »

Ok, I had this saved... I can't remember where it came from (here I think) but it is for the standard vx-900, not the USFS model because it is different and takes the instructions linked above. No mods are done to the standard model and the 'key' just shorts pin 3 and 7.

This is what the "key" does.
Yes, there is a way to do field programming. You need to short pins 3 and 7 of the external mic connector, then hold down the lamp and PTT button while powering the radio on. You will see "FIELD" in the display. (The "lamp" button is the bottom button below PTT.) Pins 3 and 7 are the 2nd and 4th pin down on the left side as you are looking into the connector on the side of the radio.
Specifics here, the front panel buttons don't do anything if you have them.
Then using the channel knob, select the function you want to program, and using the top and side Set buttons change the entries. For frequency, use the toggle switch to select MHz, tenths, hundredths and the top/side set buttons to change the applicable item. (The side "set" button is the top button above the PTT, and the top "set" button is the orange button.) After changing an entry, turn the channel knob to another position to "enter" the change. Power the radio off and back on to go back to normal opesrating mode.