Opinions on radios with sub-band feature?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
Splat

Opinions on radios with sub-band feature?

Post by Splat »

Anyone using Vertex's radios with the sub-banding feature? If so, how do you like it/them? Thanks.
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

I'm using a VX-4200 UHF with the VHF sub and I've been very happy with it.
The sensitivity seems the same and all of the other functions work the same as if it were a VHF radio (2-tone, PL/DPL, DTMF).

There are times when I wish Vertex made a true daulband radio in this package, but this is the next best thing.

The radio has 512 channels and after getting the initial 30 work channels in. I found it very handy to program banks for NOAA WX, DOT, and Marine. It's not something I use on a daily basis, but it's nice to know I can monitor it if needed.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Thanks for replying, RT. Can it scan both sub-band and non-sub-band channels together? Thanks.
60a

Post by 60a »

If I can interject a stupid question.. does anyone know if this is a factory only option, or is it something that can be added down the road? I have heard it both ways, but not all my sources are credible!

Thanks! :lol:
RadioTweester

Post by RadioTweester »

Splat:
Yes, the sub-band and main band can be scanned at the same time. It's EXACTLY the same as any other programmed channel, except you have no TX on the subband. I use a combo VHF/UHF antenna because my main band is UHF and I have excellent reception on both bands.

60a:
Yes - the subband is something you can add later, at least on the mobile. I think it's available as an option in the VX-920s but I've read things regarding the install being a bit of a pain.
For the mobile it's as simple as removing the plastic cover, unscrewing a couple of screws, then reading and writing to the radio.
I think the price was somewhere around $120.