VX600 programming problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
NodrogCop

VX600 programming problem

Post by NodrogCop »

The problem is simple enough: I can't read the radio.

Now the background:
I just acquired a VHF VX600. I also have factory software (windows version) and cables. I am running the software on a 450 mhz Windows ME platform. I hooked the cables correctly and turn on the radio. When I go to read it, it says to turn the radio off, then back on to read it. I do that, and nothing happens.

Am I missing something? Wrong platform? Although I programmed MPAs with a dos shell on the machine....go figure.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Gordon
firephoto39

Post by firephoto39 »

Well I haven't had that problem with the VX-900, but I have found that the radio does strange things if you turn it on with the programming calbe attached. I usally just leave it off till it says "turn the radio off then back on", then turn it on and the display will read "PC PROG" or something similar. If the com port is wrong or not working right you get the error message before anything happens, so it could be a bad cable, but I'd check the com port settings or status too. Never used WinME, using XP here with the CE39 software, ME doesn't hog the com port does it?
Just my thoughts, I've never had this problem though.

<added>
Just had another thought, you don't have another programming cable plugged into another com port on the computer do you, and have your com port settings wrong in the file-configuration menu? Or another software app running that is accessing that com port for any reason? I had my VX-150 software open once, and the CE39 software wouldn't read or write to the radio. The vx-150 app had the com port tied up.

Tom
NodrogCop

Post by NodrogCop »

Thanks Tom:

It turns out I merely forgot to change the com port settings. :oops:

Everything is working well and CE39 runs smoothly on ME.

As for the radio, well...I wish I would've found it sooner. Several raves about it from fellow cops who used it at work for a couple of hours.

Might be heading towards Vertex for radios in the future. Especially if we can save the programming fees! :)

Thanks for th reply - there seem to be quite a few Vertex fans based the responses I got to this problem!

Gordon