VXA-220 Airband portable

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
ka7wnf

VXA-220 Airband portable

Post by ka7wnf »

Does anyone here have any experience with the Vertex airband portables? I'm looking into getting some for my departments air rescue guys but I have some questions that I'm not finding answers to.

Specifically if you plug a headset into the radio does the radio's PTT still work or do you need to construct an external PTT switch? Thanks in advance.
Nittfo

Re: VXA-220 Airband portable

Post by Nittfo »

I have a VXA-210, and a David Clark headset. The radio does not work properly when connected to the headset. I have not checked the impedance of the DC microphone, but I suspect that is the issue with the radio. To answer your question, I used the radios' PTT, with poor results. Check the impedance of both radio mic and headset mic - then go from there.

Gene
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I needed to know. I currently use an Icom IC-A4. I had the connector modified so we can use a helicopter plug on it. I plug my Gentex helmet into it and it works great for communicating with the helicopter crew when I'm on the ground. I like the VXA-220 for it's water resistance. I tried to go check one out but it seems there are no Vertex dealers in Washington State.
Nittfo

Post by Nittfo »

Are there any FBO's or Pilot shops near you that carry the brand? Usually, you won't find a "dealer", like with Land Mobile units. It frustrates me that Vertex will bundle the fixed-wing headset adapter with the radio, and it won't work with products from one of the most popular headset manufacturers - go figure. But, since I am no longer a student pilot (for eight years now: $$$), I no longer need either item.

Good Luck,

Gene
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

I checked at one of the local avionics shops in Seattle and the nearest dealer is in Oregon. Go figure. Does your DC set have a dynamic mic by chance? Probably not likely if it worked with the aircrafts radios. I do have a DC headset that was part of a radio set for a Motorola MTS2000 but it will not work on the air radio. Has a dynamic mic.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

So I thought I would update this post with my findings. We bought 8 of these radios. I had 4 of the included headset adapter cables modified with a U-94A/U jack with a PTT button. They actually work pretty well. The audio when using the helmet is quite good on both ends. In the helicopter I could hear the guy on the ground and when I was on the ground had no troubles hearing the helicopter. You can use the PTT on the radio itself and it only picks up the helmet/headset audio so the external PTT is actually unnecessary. I opted for the PTT mainly because the radio might be stuffed into a pocket or chest pack and inaccessible. The PTT on the jack has the clothing clip and is easy to operate even with gloves. The range of the radio won't be a big issue since we are usually line of sight when doing our operations. Haven't tested the claims of waterproof to 1 meter yet but we have a guy who has a knack for dropping electronics in water and I'm sure we will find out soon.