VX-920 (924) Scanning

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
ScannerGeek75

VX-920 (924) Scanning

Post by ScannerGeek75 »

Hello-

I am a new user of a VX-924 portable. Coming from using strickly Motorola (ht1250 and mt2000), I am pretty pleased with the radio. The one thing I can't figure out is scanning. Using the Motorola radios, I would set it up so my selected channel is the prioity channel. I wouldn't have to take the radio out of scan to change the priority/transmit channel. I am using the "Follow Me" scan on the 924, but I am having issues. A couple of times (only had the radio for 12 hours) I have heard traffic on the selected priority channel from another radio and the 924 would stay on another acive channel. Also, I am finding off pl traffic is also stopping the scan from time to time. Am I missing something? Is there a better way of setting this up? Basically, I won't my selected channel to be the priority and transmit channel. I am planning on using this radio for fire fighting and don't want to miss any important transmissions.

Thanks.
jbt935

Re: VX-920 (924) Scanning

Post by jbt935 »

I have used a VX-924V and U about four years now. When you use software to program a channel as scan priority, it will stay that way and you can't change it. If you use the "follow me scan" feature, whatever channel you select becomes priority when you activate FMS. I usually use the toggle switch as FMS activation. I have sold \ programmed about thirty or so of them and like them so far. I too had experience with Motorola radios and sometimes miss the simple P1 and P2 scan modes. Vertex FMS feature allows user to change priority scan channel, but no priority 2 channel. I have had no problem with my VX-24 missing traffic on priority channels. The software help section sucks, whomever wrote the help didn't understand English very well.
Raleigh, NC