VX-180 Off/On Duty?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
rdale

VX-180 Off/On Duty?

Post by rdale »

I have a VX-180 and I have successfully programmed the tones for my local FD. If I'm listening or scanning, and the tones go off, I hear the alert and get CALLED on the display.

I'd like to set one of the channels in my bank up as a channel that is quiet unless tones come out. But in my programming software, the "DUTY" is disabled. Is there a workaround to accomplish this?

- Rob
RadioTweester

Re: VX-180 Off/On Duty?

Post by RadioTweester »

Try rereading the radio and duty should be an editable field. I'm guessing what you might have done was edited the default programming table instead of reading the radio first and editing that data? Hope this works for you
rdale

Post by rdale »

No, that's not editable since I have v1 firmware. I eventually figured by trial and error. If the green light is on, it gets all transmissions on all channels regardless of PL or pager settings. If I click the PTT, the green light goes off, and it only breaks audio if a PL is met or the pager tones are active. So I duplicated the frequency I want - one with pager tones and one without. So when the green light is off, I switch to the pager tone channel and all is quiet unless the alert activates.
Mike Mercury

Post by Mike Mercury »

of the hundreds of VX-180's I've programmed over the years... I always setup a main fire channel (that did not use any paging functions)... and then a second channel called PAGE where it's usuage was when one only wanted to hear a transmission only after after receiving the correct 2-tone sequence. The audio was muted unless the 2-tone sequence was sent out.

Then to reset the page fuinction, all they need to do was either turn the radio off & back on... or switch to another channel and then back to the PAGE channel. It would reset this way

I can give you the specific program notes we used to get the paging function to work. Email me: tim-yvonne@juno.com
Mike Mercury

Post by Mike Mercury »

of the hundreds of VX-180's I've programmed over the years... I always setup a main fire channel (that did not use any paging functions)... and then a second channel called PAGE where it's usuage was when one only wanted to hear a transmission only after after receiving the correct 2-tone sequence. The audio was muted unless the 2-tone sequence was sent out.

Then to reset the page fuinction, all they need to do was either turn the radio off & back on... or switch to another channel and then back to the PAGE channel. It would reset this way

I can give you the specific program notes we used to get the paging function to work. Email me: tim-yvonne@juno.com
Mike Mercury

Post by Mike Mercury »

rdale

Post by rdale »

I got it now - thanks. It was the green light on/off that made the difference.

Plus I programmed button C as they "reset" button so I just press that and it resets instead of having to turn on/off the radio.