Dropping the power on a UHF VX-3000

Forum dedicated to discussion on Vertex Commercial Radio products
N3CHU

Dropping the power on a UHF VX-3000

Post by N3CHU »

Hi all, would anyone know a cheap and easy way to drop the RF power down to about 1 watt or less on a vertex VX-3000 UHF??. I dont have the service manual or the tuning software. its interfaced with a VX-3000L and dont need for the UHF signal to go very far .. Thanks to all. Davie n-3-c-h-u at atlanticbb dot net
radio259

Re: Dropping the power on a UHF VX-3000

Post by radio259 »

You need the servcice alignment software. We have found that some, not all, radios will not tx well at low power, sometimes under 3-4 watt, properly.

I would have to check the dealer site moday to see if the software is still available. it was DOS.

Paul B
N3CHU

Post by N3CHU »

Thanks Paul for your reply, I found the software but may need the little box to make it work and I have one for the FTL series but never used it and dont know if it is the correct one.So any help you are able to give me I would appreciate very much. Am using it for a simplex remote base and need low power. thanks very much. Davie n-3-c-h-u at atlanticbb dot net
radio259

Post by radio259 »

I do not have the alignment box. Now memory kicked in. Been a while. They did have a alignment box for the early series of radios. We have one, but as of tomorrow, I am off for about 4 weeks for knee surgery. zor as the ameteur club put it: more parts for the scrap pile when i pass on. Hopefully not for a while yet.

never seen one of them box's on eBay, but never really looked.
N3CHU

Post by N3CHU »

I wish you well and a speedy recovery on your knee surgery Paul. maybe I will try the box that I already have but seems that I tried it long ago and it didnt work. I think if I could find the instructions it might help. thanks again. Davie
N3CHU

Post by N3CHU »

Paul, if you read this when you recover I was able to move around in the tuning software and change the power and you are correct about the radio not liking low power. I was able to change the power in the tuning mode I think all I need to know is how to "enter" the settings once I have made the changes and I will have have it. My FRB box has a broken 8 pin plug so was able to get into the software without it. I was able to get 60 watts out of the radio in the tune mode but didnt know how to enter that setting. Thank you for your help. Davie