Radio Frequency qestions.

If you are just getting into radio, and have a lot of beginner questions, or just want to help someone new out, then this is the place to do it!
ResQ911

Radio Frequency qestions.

Post by ResQ911 »

I came into having having some LOW band HTs. Can anyone tell me if there are some Free Low band Frequencies for northern IL and Sothern Wis?

Thanks,

ResQ
The best thing an old firefighter can teach a young firefighter, is how to become an old firefighter
Raymond156

No there were not any "FREE" channels

Post by Raymond156 »

From asking around
no there are no "FREE"
channels
Tom in D.C.

"free" channels...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Just to amplify a bit on the reply that was posted, the only band where you can legally transmit at a decent (1 or 2 watts) amount of power is on VHF around 151/154 mHz. There are five channels there that you can use, and these are known as MURS channels. If you just go ahead and transmit on a frequency for which you are unlicensed you run a serious risk of ending up in BIG trouble, starting with the grief you'll get from the agency whose radio channels you're interfering with.

There are also UHF channels in the 462 mHz area for which you can get a license quickly and easily and where you can run a decent amount of power. This area is known as GMRS and is a licensed, civilian, service.

There is one "lowband" area that might be of interest to you, IF you have an amateur radio license. There is a ham/amateur band at 50 to 54 mHz which is actively used for AM, FM, code, teletype, etc. etc., but you have to get a ham license to use it.

Tom in D.C.
W2NJS
n9gik
Site Supporter

MURS, FRS, GMRS ... ???

Post by n9gik »

I fell asleep during some exciting TV show and now I'm wide awake and can't sleep, so I'm browsing old posts on here. This thread mentioned MURS and GMRS, plus others talked about FMRS and possibly other alphabet labeled services. I know there are similarities and differences, such as some radios are capable of FMRS and GMRS both .. but one takes a license and one doesn't (that sounded like a recipe for disaster to me). Could someone give me a quick and simple overview?

Showing my age, I think GMRS is what we used to call Class A CB ? Back then we thought "450 Megacycles (I told you it was a long time ago)? Who would want a radio with THAT high a frequency?"
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
k2hz

Re: Radio Frequency qestions.

Post by k2hz »

GMRS is the replacement for Class A CB.

GMRS has 8 exclusive channels every 25kHz from 462.575 to 462.750 plus repeater input channels 5 MHz higher. Simplex is also allowed on 7 channels shared with FRS from 462.5625 to 462.7125 limited to 5W for mobiles and low power base stations only. Power limit is 50W on the other channels. A license is required and licenses cover only the licensee and immediate family members. If you want to use GMRS while hunting with your friends, every non related person needs their own license.

FRS is low power (0.5W), unlicensed, narrow band. There are 14 channels, the 7 shared with GMRS and 467.5625 to 467.7125MHz.

There is no prohibition on communication between GMRS and FRS units. The problem is high powered GMRS radios being sold for FRS use.

There is a web site that covers these issues:

http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrsbppfaq.html
Slimbob

Re: No there were not any "FREE" channels

Post by Slimbob »

Raymond156 wrote:From asking around
no there are no "FREE"
channels
Shoot, I'm almost of the mind to buy a gas station so I have a good reason to apply for a license to some of the petroleum company channels down on VHF lowband.