SM-4150 programming adapter info needed

Forum dedicated to discussion on Maxon Radio products
KF4SQB

SM-4150 programming adapter info needed

Post by KF4SQB »

Does anyone have the schematic or any other info for the device mentioned? What exactly is the adapter (ie., is it a RS232-TTL level converter, or what)? Could I maybe use a Motorola RIB to do this? How do I wire the cable?
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

Hi, I'm new here.

I haven't gotten a straight answer on whether the GE Monograms are the same cable as the 4x50 Maxons, but I do have a Monogram cable, it's a TQ3376, part no. 19D904589P1.

You are aware, that this cable, which has a DB25, hooks to the PRINTER PORT, and not a rib?

I did take it apart, and there is a chip in there. Due to the size/construction of the PC board, I can't figure out the hookup in there.

I do have the Monogram service manuals for the UHF and VHF radios, and there is no schematic of it in those.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

440roadrunner wrote: I haven't gotten a straight answer on whether the GE Monograms are the same cable as the 4x50 Maxons, but I do have a Monogram cable, it's a TQ3376, part no. 19D904589P1.
they are both the same printer port cable......
i have heard of problems using the maxon software on the ge radio (and viceversa) but have no experience there.

i have dealt with the maxon versions only, say 10+ years ago......
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The Maxon software works fine with the GE Monogram radios. The GE “TQâ€￾ and the Maxon cables are not the same.

The GE TQ cables are for a parallel port and work only with the GE TQ software. I don’t know if there are any issues with use of GE software with a Maxon radio.

The Maxon SPC-4000C cables are RS232 serial and work only with the Maxon SMP-4004C software.

Here are some tips on how to use the Maxon software and cable:

The SMP-4004C runs with no problems under DOS. To run it under Windows you must put the “/Iâ€￾ switch in the command line or the PIF file. This is a Windows 3.1 program and there may be problems with later versions of Windows. It avoids a lot of problems to just run it from a DOS boot.

You need to remove the radio’s Auxiliary Relay and connect the red wire of the SPC-4000 to Pin 1 of the Auxiliary Connector as well as connecting the 6-pin plug to the Program Connector.

For a VHF radio you must determine if the EEPROM is a 93C46 or 93C56.
If it is a 93C46, select “SM-4150â€￾ on the radio menu. If it is a 93C56, select “SM-4150EXâ€￾.
GE VHF Monograms are 93C56/SM-4150EX. This is the most common problem when someone says they cannot program a GE radio.

The radio must be manually put in “PROGâ€￾ mode.

Follow the on screen instruction provided by the SMP-4004C software and everything should be fine with either a Maxon or GE Radio.

Don’t forget to reinstall the Auxiliary Relay when done or you will wonder why you have no receiver audio.

Maxon software and cables are available from TCS Wireless:

http://www.2wayradios.com/sm4000.htm

Sorry, but I don’t have a schematic for the cable. There is no schematic anywhere in the Maxon manuals.

Dick, K2HZ
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

I have finally found the schematic for the Maxon adapter, and have succesfully built one. However, before anyone asks for a copy of it, I am having some problems with my e-mail right now, so I can't send a copy to anyone.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

I guess I should've posted this a while back, but I didn't think about it. My email problems are fixed, and I will be happy to send the schematic of the SMP-4004C programming adapter to anyone who needs it. Email me, send me a PM, or post it here. I'll get the message either way.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Due to receiving quite a few emails requesting the schematic, I'll mention here that I have the schematic posted on the board now. It can be found here.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB