Programing cable pin-outs?

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

963Expert

Programing cable pin-outs?

Post by 963Expert »

I've got several UHF Johnson radios that I think (not certain) are called "Challenger Series" The only tag on them gives a number of ATH90f2427171.

On the back of the radio is a two prong power plug and an SO239 antenna jack. There's also a rubber plug in the heat sink and an external speaker jack next to the power plug. The front of the radio has a volume knob, and the squelch is on the same switch with the knob surrounding the volume. There's a green display just above the RJ11 mic jack and channel changing is done by rubber up and down arrows. There are also two other rubber buttons above the volume knob that if memory serves me are monitor and scan. The speaker slants outward from the right hand side towards the operator.

Okay, that's the best description I have of the radio. Now what I'm looking for is if someone can give me a drawing of what the programming cable should look like. Someone gave me some RSS for it years ago, but I don't have a clue as to how to make the cable.

Anybody have any clues on what this is and what the programming cable pinouts are? Thanks,
Kel
N3UHD

Post by N3UHD »

Hi there,

The cable and connector plug into the logic board thru the rubber plug in the rear of the radio. I don't have the pinouts at home, but may be able to help out when I get to the shop on Monday. Johnson uses a RIB also to connect to the radio/ computer.

What you have is a 7171 Challenger, UHF, 8 channel, 15 watt. Nice little radio. I have one set up on 440 ham. Works well.
Bob
N3UHD
PCIA #38104
...if it ain't broke..don't fix it...
http://www.busrad.com
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters