5100 Series crypto question

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

High_Order1

5100 Series crypto question

Post by High_Order1 »

Can a motorola key loader be used with this series of EFJ portable, or is there an EFJ - specific keyloader I need to use?

Thanks,

-Shawn
1 ADAM 12

Keyloader

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

It will work with a Motorola Keyloader
High_Order1

Post by High_Order1 »

Hey,

Thanks!!

-Shawn
mam1081

Post by mam1081 »

What about the cable? I have a 3011DX KVL with an XTS series cable - and it doesn't seem to load keys. Does the radio have to be in some special mode or something to load them?

Thanks!
-Mark
mam1081

Re: 5100 Series crypto question

Post by mam1081 »

After a little more research, I have come to find that it requires a different cable than the XTS3k / 5k does. It's P/N 023-5000-940 apparently. Anyone have a pin-out? List price is like $275.
mrk

Post by mrk »

I was wondering the same thing. I have a couple of 5100's and tried to keyload them with my DX3011 KVL and XTS cable. I could not even get KEYLOAD to show up on the display. If I find anymore info, I'll post it here.
N6DRA

Post by N6DRA »

The KVL pinout is as follows:

KVL 5100

2&7 ----------4,5,6,&9
3&8 ----------13
4&9 ----------10
5&10 ---------11

That should make it work according to a post on another board.

Tim
mam1081

Post by mam1081 »

Yup , that works.

Thanks! (found it on that other forum also)
-Mark
High_Order1

Post by High_Order1 »

Ok, next dumb question. As part of a project, I was promised a couple of the programming cables. Instead, I get 023-5000-940 keyloader cables.

1 - Would it be easier to try and find a copy of the Subscriber Management Assistant Keyloading Kit program, or should I just whack one to work with my moto keyloader?

2 - I am betting that once I find the PCCONFIG s/w, I won't be able to use these to program, will I? :/

Thanks!

-Shawn
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Even if you get a copy of the SMA software to load onto a PDA, you will also need an encrypted file from the factory based on the serial number of the PDA for the program to work.
If you modified your XTS keyloader cable to work on the 5100 it should still work on your XTS radios. I know that the EFJ XTS style keyloader works on both XTS and the 5100 radios.
Correct me if I am mis-reading your dilemma.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
High_Order1

Post by High_Order1 »

No, that's pretty much it. I have the equipment to program and keyload MTS radios. I am guessing it works with the XTS series, I haven't had anything offered to me to test it with.

I just got a 5100 VHF, and don't relish the idea of playing thumb programmer for a bunch of personalities (Channels, whatever EFJ calls the individual settings), and I am told there are a few things only settable in the software.

I read here, I think that the programming cable for the MTS/XTS doesn't work unless you flip two pins, or something like that. I started to build one with a toggle like I have for certain Saber radios, but then a guy promised me a couple of the real-deal EFJ programming cables.

I got something with a MTS/XTS plug on one end, a serial plug on the other, and a mysterious chunk in between. So, I looked the pn up in one of my references, and found it was a keyloading cable (Actually, all three were). My keyloader needs a MX connector, so I considered hacking one of those keyloader cables up to fit the keyloader I have, when I remembered EFJ has a PDA solution.

But, you've explained that its' not as simple as just, ah, 'obtaining' the software, which I sort of suspected, but wasn't sure.

Here are the things I still am not clear on:

1 - does this keyloading cable also double as a programming cable?

2 -Since we are on the topic, and I do understand the firmware rvn and the programming software rvn has some kind of mating table, does the PCCONFIG software run on a modern computer, or is it for the old, slow pc I use for all the older stuff? Does EFJ put out a list (like, firmware 2.1 = PCCONFIG version 1, fw 4.4=pcconfig r3) or something like that?

And, if I get a later copy of the PCCONFIG, and someone brings an early radio to me for me to help them with, is the software backwards compatible, or should I be hunting all the revisions to store in case?

Thanks, you certainly are a font of info for these radios. I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions! :grin:
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

High Order,
1 - does this keyloading cable also double as a programming cable?
No. Once the Keyloader is connected you are grounding one pin that tells the radio to enter 'keyload' mode. It is a single use cable.
The Tuning cable can be used as a programming cable though.
2 -Since we are on the topic, and I do understand the firmware rvn and the programming software rvn has some kind of mating table, does the PCCONFIG software run on a modern computer, or is it for the old, slow pc I use for all the older stuff? Does EFJ put out a list (like, firmware 2.1 = PCCONFIG version 1, fw 4.4=pcconfig r3) or something like that?
Yes. They have what's known as a Configuration Matrix that maps out for each version of SW, what version of PCC, PCTune, Keyloader, Bootload, etc... that is required with that version of code.
Older PCC (anything pre 2.x.x)will run on anything from Win95 to Vista, however with the newer versions (2.x.x +) require Win2k (min) and you will need the updated windows installer (V3.1). If you run windows updates you will be fine, however if you have a computer that does not connect to the internet, you may need to get the installer seperately or the Sentinel drivers that come with the newer versions of PCC won't install correctly.
Regarding the latter part of the question, for the most part EFJ has tried to stay backwards compatible, but they have had to break that a couple of times in the past year or so. Unfortunatley I cannot really answer the question in depth as there are so many factors. The 'Matrix' will help you best. PM me if you need a copy.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.