EF Johnson 5100 questions

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

KMB

Re: EF Johnson 5100 questions

Post by KMB »

Thank you very much, f4t!

:lol: :lol:
KMB

Post by KMB »

What is the decode of the model number of 242-5113-610BI4?
thank you!
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

242-5113-610BI4
5100 (Not SL)
VHF, FUll Keypad (Modell III)
Intrinsically Safe
VHF Antenna (Wideband)
IS Battery
Black Housing
Analog/P25 Conv
DES-OFB
AES
Keypad Programming
512 Channels

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
boomboy64

Post by boomboy64 »

Hi There, got a few questions...

1. In another thread, you decoded 242-5113-622-BA as
5100 (not SL/Ascend)
VHF
Limited Keypad (Model II)-Non-IS
VHF Wideband Antenna
Clamshell(AA Battery Pack) (no battery)
Orange Housing
Analog/P25 Conv
Keypad Programming
512 Channels

This is a series 1 radio that is no longer supported by EFJ.
Q: How can it be a "Limited Keypad/Model II" and still provide Keypad Programming? Also the picture I'm looking at has a keypad(?)

Q: If something is no longer supported, and you understand that there will be no more updates or repair, will they still sell you the software for it?

Thanks in advance...

Boomboy64
Intrinsically Safe

Q: How can it be a "Limited Keypad/Model II" and still provide Keypad Programming? Also the picture I'm looking at has a keypad(?) re: 242-5113-622-BA
A: The keypad programming option is in reference to the BA part of the number. Good Catch! You will see this more often than you might think. As I understand it from my sources - The original intent from marketing was to allow the user to keypad programming using the rocker switch. However, that never translated to the engineering department who never implemented the feature in limited keypad models. The part number system was already set up though. So you will see some limited keypads with a model number that support full keypad support. However, one should always check the options in the radio via PCConfigure just to make sure they match.
As for the Full (model III) vs Limited (Model II) keypad, that was a screw up on my part. The 3 in the 5113 indicates non-IS full keypad (Model III) not the limited (model II) I indicated originally. Sorry for that :(

Q: If something is no longer supported, and you understand that there will be no more updates or repair, will they still sell you the software for it?
My guess is yes. I know you can still get the last firmware they made so they must provide the compatible software to program it one would think??!!

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
boomboy64

Post by boomboy64 »

Cool, Thanks...

Boomboy64
boomboy64

Post by boomboy64 »

I.S., just another quick Q:

I'm looking at one of these right now (EBay, what else?) as a not-too-expensive way to get into P25. Is the 5100 a decent radio? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just P25 conventional, and am a bit leary of forking over what people are asking for to get a Motorola XTS.

The FPP is also nice...

Comments welcome...

Thanks in advance,

Boomboy64
KMB

Post by KMB »

what is the decode of this radio 242-5133-410-BC2?
Thank you!!!!!

:grin: :lol:
Intrinsically Safe

KMB wrote:what is the decode of this radio 242-5133-410-BC2?
Thank you!!!!!

:grin: :lol:
5100 (not SL/LT)
UHF 403-470
Non-IS, Model II
403-520 Antenna
Non-IS Battery
Black Housing
Analog/P25 Conv
Legacy radio no longer supported
Intrinsically Safe

boomboy64 wrote:I.S., just another quick Q:

I'm looking at one of these right now (EBay, what else?) as a not-too-expensive way to get into P25. Is the 5100 a decent radio? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just P25 conventional, and am a bit leary of forking over what people are asking for to get a Motorola XTS.

The FPP is also nice...

Comments welcome...

Thanks in advance,

Boomboy64
The 5100 is a decent radio. The newer ones (ES (Series 6)) seem to hold up better than the early versions (series 1-3) although the ES hasn't been out as long to prove that for sure. Time is always the best test!! The X platform (series 4) were better, but not by much IMO, but at least they are still being supported.
It is certainly a more cost effective solution since EFJ tends to be cheaper than Mot, even on EBay.