EF Johnson 5100 questions

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

TonyAcabono

EF Johnson 5100 questions

Post by TonyAcabono »

First can someone decode 242-5132-410-da1

Secondly what is the major difference between the 5100 and the 51sl ?

Also if you purchase one of these portables can options like FPP and CAI be added later? Does that require a trip to the dealer or will they let you do it yourself like Thales?

Thanks in advance.
Intrinsically Safe

Re: EF Johnson 5100 questions

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

5132 = 403-470 MHz, Limited Keypad
410 = 403-520 Antenna, High capacity Battery, Black Housing
DA1 = Analog, Smartnet, 512 TG/Channels, SW Encryption
Note, this radio was replaced by the 380-470 version, and also has the SW encryption that is not FIPS certified nor can it be.

Secondly what is the major difference between the 5100 and the 51sl
The major difference is the SL does not support AES nor is it FIPS Certified, among some other minor differences.

lso if you purchase one of these portables can options like FPP and CAI be added later? Does that require a trip to the dealer or will they let you do it yourself like Thales?
You can purchase the options, and if you provide the ESN a new options file will be generated that will upgrade the radio to the options purchased. The upgrad is done via the programming software, PCConfigure. Takes about 5 seconds to the upgrade. Very simple, very convenient.

Thanks in advance.
Your welcome.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
TonyAcabono

Post by TonyAcabono »

Just to clarify:

So I can just call EF Johnson with a CC and tell them I want CAI, pay $400 or whatever they get and install it myself?

How about 242-5246-460sl4

Can you add FPP to a limited keypad model?
Intrinsically Safe

How about 242-5246-460sl4
5246 = 51SL, 450-512MHz, Limited Keypad, Intrinsically Safe (<-- Love that name :) )
460 = 403-520 Antenna, Intrinsically Safe Battery, Black Housing
SL4 = Analog, P25 Conventional, SmartNet/SmartZone, Digital SN/SZ, Single Key DES-OFB, Full Keypad Support, 512 TG/Channels, MDC-1200, Conv Vote Scan. Multi-Key is disabled.
I would caution the full keypad suppport. This is a limited keypdad (at least at time of purchase), and although it appears that the Full Kepad support is supposed to be 'On' I would double check via PCConfigure to see. Just my words of wisdom from past experience.

Can you add FPP to a limited keypad model?
I assume you mean the ability to do keypad programming? If so, then yes it can. You will have to convert to a full kepad radio as the limited keypad radios do not support this feature. In essence all radios are full keypad (if you pull off the bezel underneathe the F3/F4 buttons you will see all the buttons), you would just need to purchase the rubber keypad and new bezel as well as the Full Keypad Support option if not already enabled. If the radio sees that Full Keypad Support is not enabled, then when attempting to enter keypad programming you will not be allowed to since the code does not support allowing limited keypad radios to change freq's etc...
I have heard that keypad programming may only be allowed to federal customers. Something to do with some FCC restrictions that the feds don't abide by. You can always check and see, the worst they can say is no.

So I can just call EF Johnson with a CC and tell them I want CAI, pay $400 or whatever they get and install it myself?
As far as I know you can. They may check your SN against a database to make sure it hasn't been reported stolen or belonging to someone else but they are usually pretty open to selling options.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
TonyAcabono

Post by TonyAcabono »

Wow thanks for the quick reply.

It appears that I have purchased these radios exactly backwards for what I need.

I was looking to do P25 on the 70cm ham band and the radio that covers 440 doesn't have it.
Intrinsically Safe

You would need a 512x (380-470) or a 513x(402-470).
Could be a 522x or 523x to I suppose (SL Version).

I.S.
spicaroo

Re: EF Johnson 5100 questions -- software upgrade

Post by spicaroo »

Hey all,
Does any know how much it costs to upgrade EF Johnson 5100 ES to P25 trunking? Or can anyone on here do it? or has contacts to do it? Please contact me offline.. both professional and non profession help appreciated. thanks
Intrinsically Safe

My pricing is from 2006

List price to upgrade from Conv to P25 Trunking=$725
If your radio did not have the P25 CAI option in it already add another $500

Again these are list prices from 2006. You can call them and get an accurate quote. If you can buy off contract price (GSA, BRS, State, Etc..) you will see substantial savings
TonyAcabono

Post by TonyAcabono »

Correct me if I am wrong but he needs:

299-UPGR-110 CAI $325
299-UPGR-111 P25 trunking $471

This was quoted to me by EFJ yesterday
Intrinsically Safe

Those are the right part numbers for the upgrades he needs. Again my pricing was old and was list price which is always the worst price. In my example the upgrade to P25Trunking included Smartnet and SmartZone.(299-UPGR-111) To upgrade to P25Trunking only (299-UPGR-112) would have been $425.
The right thing would be to call them (as you did) and get a quote.
I.S.
KMB

Post by KMB »

How about "242-5212-210CA4"
Thank you!
:lol: :lol:
Intrinsically Safe

5212 = 51SL, VHF, Limited Keypad
210 = 151-162MHz Antenna, HIgh Capacity Battery, Black Housing
CA4 = Analog, P25 Conv, DES-OFB, 256 TG/Channels

I.S.
KMB

Post by KMB »

Hi I.S.
Where can find the decode information for the last 3 digital meaning? :lol: :lol:
Thank you!!

KMB
KMB

Post by KMB »

Hi!
i just got my first EFJ yesterday.
Some questions here.
Will the COM port affects the programme? As I use a little older PC (WinXP) that can read and programme the radio. However, when I use another one newer (WinXP) but shows "communication fails"?
Will the battery level affects the self test? As I use a less battery to open the radio that show "DSP fails", when I use a charged battery that radio works fine. Why?

Thank you!
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

There's no reason for a low battery to cause a DSP failure. However a bad/short-circuited battery might cause a problem.

The age of the PC should not be a problem, however, EFJ 51xx radios like to run at 115,200bps and slower rate speeds may not work as great. Any computer running at 600Mhz or faster should have no problems running Windows XP and faster COM Port speeds. I think you should check your COM Port speed settings and your FIFO buffer settings (Control Panel ->System ->Hardware Tab ->Device Manager ->Ports [select your COM Port and Right-Click ->Properties] ).

Although it is usually not necessary to change any settings you can change the speed settings to be 115200, N, 8, 1. Older PCs might require a larger send/receive buffer (as noted by the sliders), while newer PCs can handle large or small FIFO buffers without need for modification.

Good luck.

f4t