upgrading ef johnson 5100 model 1

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

spicaroo

upgrading ef johnson 5100 model 1

Post by spicaroo »

Hey all,
how difficult is it to upgrade an ef johnson 24-512A model 1 to a model 3?

thanks,

Chris
Intrinsically Safe

Re: upgrading ef johnson 5100 model 1

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

When you say model 1 do you mean the new ES with no Display?
or do you mean a model 1 in meaning the first version of 5100 that had 1.x.x software?

In the case of the no display to full display, it could be done but if you are not comfortable with disassembly and reassembly it would a little more challenging. Then there is the need to purchase the options from EFJ to turn on the keypad and display.

In the case of the latter, that is not going to happen. The logic board in the first version did not house the correct connector to insert the Motorola UCM encryption board.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
N5CWM

Post by N5CWM »

I was curious as well. I have a 5100ES model 1 UHF, and two 5100 VHF model 3's
(version 2.4.6).
The 5100ES has 'full keypad support' option checked on PCC,
but not the 'keypad programming' option. I figured that I could swap the internals
and create a UHF Model 3 but that it'd take a firmware update to make it work.
Both of my model 3 VHFs have 'keypad programming' and 'keypad support' options.
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

The parts on the older model III won't work on the ES. The front panel layout is different(the F3 and F4 buttons are higher on the ES,right below the F1 and F2 vs right below the dispaly on the older style), and so are most of the internals.
But with enough 'Custom Engineering' one can make most anything work though....

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.