efj 5300 programming interface

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

willbartlett
Administrator

efj 5300 programming interface

Post by willbartlett »

Hello all. I'm wondering if there is a schematic for the RPI for a 5300 mobile. I understand that there is a rs-485 interface Any information would be helpful.

Will
Intrinsically Safe

Re: efj 5300 programming interface

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

PM me and email address and I'll send you the schematic PDF.
BTW, there are now 2 RPI boxes (a -000 and a -001). the -000 is the old one and the -001 is a modified one that supports dual core processors which seem to have a funky effect on the serial port. I don't have a schematic for the new one (yet). But I'll send you what I do have.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
KMB

Post by KMB »

Intrinsically Safe wrote:PM me and email address and I'll send you the schematic PDF.
BTW, there are now 2 RPI boxes (a -000 and a -001). the -000 is the old one and the -001 is a modified one that supports dual core processors which seem to have a funky effect on the serial port. I don't have a schematic for the new one (yet). But I'll send you what I do have.

I.S.
Hello I.S.

Could I have one too?

KMB
Intrinsically Safe

I will get it to you KMB I am just at a location where I cannot do email very well. You'll have to wait until this weekend if that is ok.
I think I still have your email addy.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
KMB

Post by KMB »

Intrinsically Safe wrote:I will get it to you KMB I am just at a location where I cannot do email very well. You'll have to wait until this weekend if that is ok.

I.S.
Thank you I.S.!
my e-mail have PM to you.

KMB
KMB

Post by KMB »

KMB wrote:
Intrinsically Safe wrote:I will get it to you KMB I am just at a location where I cannot do email very well. You'll have to wait until this weekend if that is ok.

I.S.
Thank you I.S.!
my e-mail have PM to you.

KMB
Hi I.S.

File got!
Thank you!

KMB
willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

So, I'm having trouble. I'm trying to read a 5300, 242-5326. Radio was a rear mount, tray only . I bought a few remote heads off ebay. I'm trying to get it up and running as a front mount before I spend any real $$ on remote cables. One of the heads was missing the pigtail, so I moved it to the front of the radio, mnade up the ribbon cable and set the jumpers for front mount with digital volume control. the radio seems to operate just fine in this config. I can tx and rx using a desk mic from some other EFJ radios I have.

Using the 15 pin D connector for the remote head, I found the RS-485 lines, the busy line and ground that show continuity to the front mic jack where programming would NORMALLY occur. I've built the interface using the schematic for the RPI.

I haven't gotten the radio to ack yet. Is there some kind of vulcan death grip I need to do on the buttons like some of the kenwood products, or am I fooling myself and I need to just buy the Hirose connector and program through the mic jack. Do I need to set up as a remote mount to be able to program? does the radio know to ignore serial data on the DB15 if the head is a local mount?

Needless to say I'll just order the service manual tomorrow. any help in the meantime would be great tho...

Many thanks, Will
Intrinsically Safe

Hey will, I got your PM on this but I have been out of comm's this week.

I only know of one person who has done what you are trying to do and that was several years ago on the original version (REV 4) 5300s.
Over the years we became pretty close and he passed away about 2 years ago to cancer :(

There is no 'Vulcan' death grip but there is a GI Joe Kung Fu Grip!! Just kidding, while in programming mode there is nothing specail that needs to be done. Only when updating the firmware.

As fro programming thorugh the logic and not the control head, you are the first I have heard try it. I can get you the service manual for that if you want to save a few bucks and put that towards a remote cable.

I.S.