Programming a Legacy EF Johnson 5100

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

airatomic

Post by airatomic »

I just purchased an EF Johnson 5100 and need help. First, I believe the radio is one of the “legacy” radios from 2002. It is Model # 242-5113-210-BC and version 1.10.0. It is in very good condition for its age and my intended uses are not exotic. I like to have the local Amateur Radio repeaters, Civil Air Patrol's P25 rpt/simplex channels, and marine channels in one radio. No encryption on anything I need to do with it. Can anyone decode the model number for me, and tell me more about programming this radio. The menu tells me that the keypad prg is disabled so I will need the PC Config software. Is this model still supported by EF Johnson? Can the firmware be updated and how? I plan on purchasing another one. If the new radio's verion is much newer than the one I have now will I have to purchase two copies of PC Config inorder to program two vastly different 5100s? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Should have asked these questions before purchasing. TNX
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Programming a Legacy EF Johnson 5100

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

You are correct in that this is a legacy 5100.

What you have for options are:
VHF (136-174)
DTMF (Full Keypad)
151-162 MHz Antenna (At least that is what it was shipped with you can get a wideband antenna (136-174) or another tuned antenna to cover what ever Freq you want)
Non-IS battery
Black Housing
Analog
P25 Conventional
DES-OFB
512 TG/Channels

The radio can be upgraded to 1.18.15 but the radio firmware is no longer supported by EFJ. I can get you the firmware update but you will need a cable.
Upgrading to this version will requre PCC 1.28.0.8
If you buy a newer radio you will most likely need a different version of PCC as they did have to make a point where they were no longer backwards compatible. If you can get the info on the next radio you buy, make sure the code base is the same (1.x.x) or no higher than a 3.x.x as the 1.x.x/2.x.x/3.x.x will take PCC 1.28.08. These are known collectively as the 'Legacy' radios. Whatever radio you get I can get you the latest firmware for it but you will need to get the PCC and cable.
If you get anything newer 4.x.x or 6.x.x you will need a different version of PCC for them.

Let me know and I will help if I can.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
airatomic

Post by airatomic »

IS,

Thanks for info. Can you tell me what I will be missing by having a legacy version vs new versions of 4.x.x to 6.x.x? Since I'm doing no encryption will I miss any features found in the most recent versions? Upgrading to the most recent legacy version will allow me to do how much more than if I kept the 1.10.0 version? Bummer that I will have two copies of PC Config if going with new version on second radio.
Intrinsically Safe

The legacy radios were all built with a Motorola Rf deck (sabre, I believe) so if you are familiar with that deck you will know what to expect characteristicly Rf wise. But as is the case with all newer radios the Rf is driven heavily by software and that is where you will notice the gibber difference. The version 4 used the first EFJ Rf deck and the version 6 radios were redesigned from the ground up. So much so that if you took one of them apart and an XTS5000 you would almost see a mirror image (I know as I have done it). I won't go so far as to say the ES (version 6) is as good as the XTS5000 but it's close. The XTS5000 I feel is still the gold standard. I have seen a lot of talk about the 2500 being better but that is a bunch of crap. The 2500 is a glorified low tier radio once taken apart.
Anyway, with the newer radios you will get continued code support where as the legacy radios are at the end of their life.
The biggest difference I can tell as far as conventional is in scanning. The newer radios have a better scan rate than the legacy radios, and better audio quality while in scan, especially in digital.
The bulk of the code changes over the years have been in trunking and OTAR support if you read their release notes.
Don't know if this helps you any but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
airatomic

Post by airatomic »

I.S.

Here is another question. I have found on eBay a third party XTS5000 interface cable with the RIB built into the DB-9 connector for $24.95 + $6.00 shipping. Seller says he has 971 of these available. Would this be a more economical alternative than the $100 cable from EF Johnson or is it mixing apples with oranges? Is the EF Johnson a straight thru connection or is a RIB necessary. Will the XTS5000 cable work out of the box? Tnx in advance.
Intrinsically Safe

There is no RIB for the 5100. It is a straight RS232 connection. However the cables are pinned different than the XTS cables.

I.S.
airatomic

Post by airatomic »

I.S.

Is the PC Config software frequency specific? For example, can the same software be used to program a VHF, UHF and 800 MHz unit as long as all three are in the same version 1,2 & 3 or 4, 5 & 6 family? TNX
Intrinsically Safe

The same software is used for all freq bands. It is also used on both the 5100 and 5300 (Moible)

I.S.
motohead

Programming a Legacy EF Johnson 5100 firmware

Post by motohead »

I am using the PCC 1.28.0.8 on a VHF 242-5113-622-BA radio with a controller firmware of 1.14.3 and have the upgrade for firmware to 1.18.15 but the install does not take?
It stops at half way and reports (communication problem during upload).

Is there a PCC upgrade or application upgrade available?

What is the cost of the upgrade from EF Johnson?
flat4turbo

Re: Programming a Legacy EF Johnson 5100 firmware

Post by flat4turbo »

motohead wrote:I am using the PCC 1.28.0.8 on a VHF 242-5113-622-BA radio with a controller firmware of 1.14.3 and have the upgrade for firmware to 1.18.15 but the install does not take?

Once the radio arrives at the EFJ depot, it is a flat $300 (minus parts, if called for) for *any* work done: reviving (software only), tuning or flashing.

Is your radio still useable at the original 1.14.3 firmware? Or is it stuck unflashed (rare)?

-f4t
KMB

Re: Programming a Legacy EF Johnson 5100 firmware

Post by KMB »

motohead wrote:I am using the PCC 1.28.0.8 on a VHF 242-5113-622-BA radio with a controller firmware of 1.14.3 and have the upgrade for firmware to 1.18.15 but the install does not take?

I have got a same radio and is upgraded to v1.18.15 but I am using PCC of v.1.24.0.8 for programming, not using v.1.28.0.8.
motohead

Post by motohead »

The Radio is functioning normally but has been suggested that I update it. i have the update but it will not accept. Tried on several machines and several radios with no luck. The radios function and operate normally. I am using the compiled update .EXE and it starts the download and then freezes about 1/3 or 1/2 of the way during the update and never recovers.
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

Instead of the combo (.exe) installer, get the individual files for use to update the radio from within PCConfigure under the "Write Application Code to Radio" menu item. Make sure you do Boot code first, then Application code. Boot uses a different password than Application so pay attention.

-f4t
motohead

Post by motohead »

I don't have access to the individual files.
nathancapman

Post by nathancapman »

Hey IS

I Have a EF Johnson 5100 V 1.0.0 and I was wondering if you had the update firmware for the radio. I am a member of Civil Air Patrol and when I got my radio I didn't know it had to be updated.