Another Newb with a EFJ 5100 (PRC-127EFJ)

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

JohnKC8JZO

Another Newb with a EFJ 5100 (PRC-127EFJ)

Post by JohnKC8JZO »

Hello All,
As the title eludes, I just received an EFJ 5100 (PRC-127EFJ). Thus, I need some help on a few things. First off, I have firmware 2.4.6. From what I've read, it looks like you need two different versions of this PC Configure software (one to upgrade, on to use afterwards). Is this true? Also, do I get the software/upgrade directly from EF Johnson, or are there other sources?

Then comes the programming cable . . . seems like the cable for the XTS 5000 almost works, but isn't wired correctly (?) Would it be possible to get one of the knock-off XTS cables from ePay and re-wire it? Or, has anyone built up a cable either from scratch or from a used mic (accessory) cable? Any and all help is appreciated. I'll probably have more questions later.

Thanks,
John G.
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Another Newb with a EFJ 5100 (PRC-127EFJ)

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

I assume when you say firmware 2.4.6 you really mean Programming SW (PCConfigure). The firmware of all of the PC127 is 4.x.x. To update the firmware, you normally use a separate program called either a code updater (older) or Express Updater (newer) to do the upgrade. After the upgrade you will most likely need a newer version of PCC to be compatible with the newer firmware.
If you want to upgrade you PRC127 to the latest version I can help with that.
As for the cables, the XTS cable is the same as the EFJ cable but it is pinned differently. I know of people that have rewired one to make it work but I have not done that personally.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
JohnKC8JZO

Post by JohnKC8JZO »

Hello I.S.,

Thanks for the help, that would be great! Actually, the 2.4.6 is the firmware of the radio. I don't have it in front of me, but I do know the Model number ends in "GS2." Kinda wondered if the "2" referred to the firmware, and I guess it does. The other sets I've seen referenced on the web (like eBay) have been a GS4.

Could this radio be an early demo unit? The guy I got it from seemed to have one of each radio (800MHz, UHF, VHF commercial, PRC-127, 2 others without keypads). This radio also seems like it hasn't seen any duty, unless the case has been replaced. So, I'm not sure. BTW, the seller/radios left is here: http://www.american-milspec.com/c-15-mi ... adios.aspx
Hope this doesn't become too big of a mystery.

As for the cable, I'll see if it's worth modding the Motorola one off of eBay. Hopefully, the radio's connector (not the DB9) comes apart easily. Otherwise, I guess the DB9 could be hacked off and replaced(?) Overall I'm not too worried about the programming right now, just think it's best to have up-to-date firmware. Will probably pick up the PC Configure at a later date. Seems like a really good HT, gonna have fun with it.

Thanks,
John G.
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Although the PRC127 is the same as any other VHF 5100 radio (NOT SL), I am 99.9975% sure the version 2 radios were out of production before EFJ got the army contract to supply the PRC127. The version 2 (which is what you have based on the GS2) has the Motorola Rf deck in it where as the version 4 has the first EFJ deck.
The version 2 radios are no longer supported by EFJ. I can get you up to the latest version for them (2.8.15).
In order to update though you will need a working programming cable (or tuning cable) as all updating is done through the side port.

Let me know and I'll help out as much as I can.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
JohnKC8JZO

Post by JohnKC8JZO »

Thanks I.S.

I'll have to do a little snooping "under the hood" later to confirm. I'll pass along what I see. As for the firmware update, I'll get back to you when I find / get / re-assemble the cable. Bummer though on the lack of support. Probably won't hinder me much for now. Doubt I'll use the trunking features for a good while anyway.

Thanks for the insight!
John G.
MEDIC535

Post by MEDIC535 »

you have to reverse pine 2 and 3 due to polarity. try that, I built one, it works fine, no RIB box or such, I ordered a few of the cheap JEDI mics off of fleabay and used those becasue they're fully populated just add pins....
JohnKC8JZO

Post by JohnKC8JZO »

Thanks a lot Medic! I'll give it a try, especially with the cheap mic purchase. Cool.
MEDIC535

Post by MEDIC535 »

It works, I have one made from a couple of aftermarket mics from china, a DB9 and a piece of cat5 cable.