Whats really in the ANC/PRC127 EFJ radio?

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

azlooker

Whats really in the ANC/PRC127 EFJ radio?

Post by azlooker »

Hello All, regarding all these 5100's showing up for sale, has anyone who has purchased one actually read the radio to see what options are really enabled? I see what they are capable of but what are they really equipped with? I just purchased a 5117-660-GS4 but just realized I have no idea what options are really enabled! It might be a really expensive standard radio, dumb on my part. Thanks for any help...

Adam
JohnKC8JZO

Re: Whats really in the ANC/PRC127 EFJ radio?

Post by JohnKC8JZO »

Hello Adam,

Well, I'm limited to the early firmware version (-GS2 with a 2.4.6 firmware that can only upgrade so far). Beyond that, these radios "should" have the same capabilities. However, I don't have the software programming capabilities yet. That said, I do have good basic keyboard programming abilities. I have the capability to program each of 16 channels in 2 zones (1 analog, 1 digital). That gives me 16 analog and 16 digital channels. Each channel has the RX/TX freq's, CTCSS (NAC for digital), Squelch, wide or narrow band selections. There's also timer functions, Hi/Low power functions, display to show channel or Frequency, and a key for backlight.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of functions that I don't have access too. For instance, I can't put a scan list together (thus no channel scanning). I don't have access to encryption, trunking, priority channel, or any other channels than the first 2 zones. I cannot reassign any buttons. However, I believe the PC Configure software should give access to these functions(?) I'm pretty much a beginner here with the EFJ, so there's bound to be better insight out there. That, and the fact that I've only had this radio since Wednesday :D

BTW, if anyone has any workarounds or ways to expand the menu functions through the keyboard . . . then please chime in.

John
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

For the PRC-127 they should have at a minnimum these options:
Conv analog and digital
AES encryption
512 TG/Channels

There may be some with Keypad programming enbabled but I have heard people say ones they have do not have this option enabled.

As far as keypad programming, if enabled, you will have different editing options depending on the firmware. The newest firmware obviously will let you do more.
One thing you CANNOT do is change button assignments or menu options. That has to be done via PCC.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
azlooker

Post by azlooker »

Thanks for the info IS! I will see the radio on Thursday and will read just what it has in it.
I have the software and cable. I wonder if it is worth it to upgrade the firmware?

Adam
Intrinsically Safe

There's two schools of thought:

1. If ain't broke don't fix it.
2. There's a reason why companies put out newer code versions. usually to fix bugs!! (Or add new features)

It is up to you. As a general rule I like to upgrade everything I own to the latest, but that is just me.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
azlooker

Post by azlooker »

its the same for me...I hate making work for myself. I was wondering of you have seen the pin-out difference between the XTS programming and the EFJ cable? I wonder if it just a matter of moving some of the spring-loaded pins around in the connector? I picked up most of the manuals and product guides today so I now have them on my laptop. I found a charger base but no power transformer so time to search out the voltage and current ratings for the transformer and pick one up. By the way, I am doing the reverse of what Will is doing. I have a 5300 that is a front mount and working on converting it to rear mount. I called EFJ to get the parts, but its over $300 for just the parts. I really am in need of the pig tail from inside the radio. Will says he might have a spare. I found a cable from a motorola radio that will work so now on to the connectors. Im going to scrap the hirose connector and install a db25 or db15. I usually have more projects than time. Life sure does seem to get in the way of radio stuff anymore....LOL!

Adam
Intrinsically Safe

I haven't really studied the programming cable differences. I know the keyloader cable is only different with one pin. The EFJ puts an extra line to ground where as the Mot cable does not. The EFJ keyloader cable will work on the MOT radios too, but the MOT cable won't work on the EFJ's.
I think going from dash to remote is easier IMO. $300 for the parts required doesn't sound overly unreasonable. Unless you don't have $300 floating around!!
Good luck with the conversion and if you need anything let me know!

I.S.
willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

Hey all.

Adam, Looks like the conversion to dash mount will work out, I'll try it tonight and if so, I'll get the old pigtail out to you.

I.S. I have confirmed that all the same lines for programming available through the mic connector are mirrored through the db-15, so I was on the right path there. The schematic even calls out rs-485p, for example, on J1-P7/J6-P7 or whatever it is, so trying to program through there shouldn't be a problem.

I still haven't been able to read the radio, I'll likely meet up with a friend locally who has a factory RPI and try that. I may have made mistakes when building mine.

I'm going to order all the hirose plugs from digikey and make up a mic port programming cable after all.

Will
azlooker

Post by azlooker »

Thanks Will, I guess I should just get the cd with the manual info to you in the mail. Send me your address in email and I will just pop it in an envelope and send it over. I found a piece of cable today that will work just perfect for the remote interconnect cable. Im going to chop off the Hirose connector and replace it with a db-15. So I should be in business pretty quick. Im really looking forward to getting this project finished. Now I just have to go drill more holes in my truck.

Adam