Stealth 5300 - convert dash mount to remote mount

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

hcalhoun

Stealth 5300 - convert dash mount to remote mount

Post by hcalhoun »

Is there any way to convert a dashmount model Stealth 5300 to a remote mount model?
If so, what part numbers would I need to locate?
Does anyone have a good source for EF Johnson parts?

Thanks
azlooker

Re: Stealth 5300 - convert dash mount to remote mount

Post by azlooker »

Hello, I am in the middle of this same project. It can be done, but the cost is pretty expensive. The cost for parts, not including the new remote control head, are about $400.00 shipped from EFJ, and that is a discounted price. There are some heads around but a new one would be very expensive. I found some heads on ebay, and another user on here got some more. You can try and construct the pieces but the key part is the pigtail from inside the radio to the interconnect cable. EFJ will sell you the parts direct. The first step would be to get a copy of the service manual. I finally found a cable with the correct configuration after looking all over the place. There are 3 separately shielded pairs inside the cable.
I found a remote mount cable for a GE MVS works. Good luck! I will let you know how it works out for me.

hcalhoun wrote:Is there any way to convert a dashmount model Stealth 5300 to a remote mount model?
If so, what part numbers would I need to locate?
Does anyone have a good source for EF Johnson parts?

Thanks
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Stealth 5300 - convert dash mount to remote mount

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

When you say 'Stealth' 5300 it leads me to believe you have the first incarnation of EFJ 5300 (i.e. the 5.xx code base) oftenly called the REV 4 radios.
These were the predecessor the the ARM based radios that came out later.
I believe the pinout and everything to be the same I would just caution spending the time and energy on an extremely antiquated radio that has no support anymore.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.