5100 issue

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

5100 issue

Post by 535 »

I just got my 5100 back from EFJ after the RX died, they upgraded the firmware and killed FPP (thanks jerks) now bank 1 channel 1 does not receive unless I press the monitor button, any ideas what caused this?
Intrinsically Safe

Re: 5100 issue

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

It is not uncommon for the depot to miss the options if they had to change boards. Just call/email them with your model number and ESN and the SI number of the work and they can send you an option file to correct it if your radio was supposed to be equipped with the FPP option. Don't be overhasty to get nasty with them. I am sure they deserve it sometimes but give them a chance to correct a mistake if it was made.

FPP would not effect this though. Can you tell me why it was Rx'ing before and not now and what version is in it now? It sounds like a configuration problem. Is this a digital channel? Does the Rx led come on but no Audio? If so than it is a NAC/TG issue. If this is an analog channel and the Rx led comes on then it is a CTCSS/DCS problem.
If no Rx led comes on then it is a frequency problem.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

Post by 535 »

its an analog channel, no rx led

it has v. 4.10.11 cps used was 2.6.11

here is the codeplug, if you can look at it and see if you notice anything.
http://www.mediafire.com/?gdj1idx1j9b

The PL for zone 1 ch 1 is correct, matter a fact I loaded wx 162.550 and no pl and that didin't even come in w/o pushing the monitor button, any help would be appreciated.

And I asked EFJ wouldn't put FPP or DES back in it...
Intrinsically Safe

IF there is no green Rx led then the Rx freq is wrong or the receiver is dead.
EFJ does a weird thing with the Monitor button, drove me nuts for years (and still does!!)
A push will monitor the Tx freq
Push and hold monitors the Rx freq
If you are Rx'ing with a press of the monitor button then you have your Tx/Rx freq's reversed.

Give me the model number and I'll tell you if the radio should have FPP or DES (At least at build date) It is possible the radio was originally sold with out FPP/DES then it was added later, thus the model number may not match what really is in it.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

Post by 535 »

The radio is a surplus PRC127EF, the reciever works on all other channels / frequencies as it should, and the primary system is also simplex system so I know the frequency is correct.
Intrinsically Safe

IF it is a PRC127 then AES should be enabled along with FPP.

As for why it is not Rx'ing I cannot explain. If you do not get a green LED then the Rx freq is off. If you do get it but no audio then it would be PL issue (TG/NAC if digital). By pressing the Monitor button you would be monitoring the Tx freq, if it is a Wx channel then you probably don't have a Tx freq and have the Tx disabled for that channel. I don't know what to tell you beyond that.

I.S.

Post by 535 »

if this helps model: 242-5177-660GS4
Intrinsically Safe

Something is wrong with the part number you listed. According to your PN you have a 7/800 MHz radio shipped with a VHF antenna.

If it is PRC127 the middel numbers would be 511X not 517x.
Assuming you meant 5117-660 GS4 it would be:

5100 (Not SL)
VHF
Intrinsically Safe
Full DTMF
VHF Antenna
IS Battery
Black Housing
Conv Analog
Conv Digital
P25 Trunking
SmartNet
SmartZone
Digital SmartNet/Smartzone
STAR (Omni-link)
Keypad Programming
512 TG/CHannels
AES

I.S.

Post by 535 »

242-5117-660 GS4

it has everything listed you do other than fpp but it also has DES-OFB enabled as well
azlooker

Post by azlooker »

I'm wondering if the factory deleted the FPP option because he is or was not a goverment or military agency or representative. This is an assumption on my part.

adam
Intrinsically Safe

I know that EFJ adheres to a strict interpretation of the FCC policy regarding FPP.
I bet if you called and said you were Forester Joe with with the BLM or something and gave them the ESN and model number and an email they'd send you the right options.

I.S.