Which PC Configure version to use for 5100 V1.6.0?

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

kb9mqu

Which PC Configure version to use for 5100 V1.6.0?

Post by kb9mqu »

Greetings,

I have a legacy VHF EFJ 5100, model 242-5113-310-GF. Upon boot it says V1.6.0, which I understand is quite old. What I would like to know is which version of PC Configure do I need to use?

Does EFJ still sell the old versions of PCC for the unsupported radio models, or should I investigate other options?

Fortunately for me the radio is FPP enabled so I'm able to program it for ham repeaters just fine, but I'd really like to have the ability to do programming with a PC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin
KB9MQU
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Which PC Configure version to use for 5100 V1.6.0?

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Wow, you got a really old one there!!
The correct PCC is 1.17.0. I am unsure if EFJ is in the business of selling old SW but you can always call and find out.
Do you have a newer version of PCC? If so tell me what version you do have and I can get you the firmware version to upgrade the radio to match whatever version you currently have. The last supported version of PCC for this radio is 1.28.0.8

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kb9mqu

Post by kb9mqu »

Thanks for the quick response! I have PC Configure 1.22.00.04. Will that allow me to upgrade the radio firmware and use that version of PCC? Feel free to PM me if you like. Thanks!

Kevin
Intrinsically Safe

From my records PCC 1.22.0.4 is a special release and not considered a general release. Therefore I don't have firmware to match that version. What I could do is get you the latest firmware (1.18.15) and if you could obtain the correct PCC for that version (1.28.0.8 ) you will have the most current you can have.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kb9sxk

Post by kb9sxk »

Hey ya'all

I have this radio now. I have 2 questions.

1) will it have any issues doing narrow VHF?

2) Can the firmware be gotten? (Newest it will take.

Thanks

Adam KB9SXK
Intrinsically Safe

1. No
2. 1.18.15 is the last firmware for that radio. It will require PCC 1.28.0.8. You can contact EFJ for both of these. Or if you have a local dealer he may be able to help you out.
kb9sxk

Post by kb9sxk »

Intrinsically Safe wrote:1. No
2. 1.18.15 is the last firmware for that radio. It will require PCC 1.28.0.8. You can contact EFJ for both of these. Or if you have a local dealer he may be able to help you out.

Good news!

I have local dealer who is great to work with.

If i can get the right PCC, is there any reason update the firmware?

Thanks for your help.
Intrinsically Safe

You have to use the PCC that matches the firmware in the radio. I don't make the rules I just follow them :)
kb9sxk

Post by kb9sxk »

Intrinsically Safe wrote:You have to use the PCC that matches the firmware in the radio. I don't make the rules I just follow them :)
I fully understand that. I have the correct pcc for my current version. I also have access to newer pcc should i upgrade firmware. Are there any advantages to bumping up the firmware?
Intrinsically Safe

When coming from a version that old (I think 1.6.0 dates from around 2002ish) there are plenty. Too many to list here but I could if you REALLY wanted me to. LOL
kb9sxk

Post by kb9sxk »

Intrinsically Safe wrote:When coming from a version that old (I think 1.6.0 dates from around 2002ish) there are plenty. Too many to list here but I could if you REALLY wanted me to. LOL
I will take that as "yes" :grin: