5100/5300 USB Cables

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

Intrinsically Safe

5100/5300 USB Cables

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Got a chance this week to see the USB cables EFJ is coming out with. They will be for both the mobile and portable and seem to work really well.
They look a lot like their keyloading cables with the big black box in the middle. For the mobiles, the box will elimanite the RPI box that was needed in the past.
I am not sure of the need for the big box for the portable since they run straight RS232 anyway.
The down side is that they are not modular, meaning they are one big piece with the big box in the middle and can't be separated. All in all thought it will be better than the serial stuff they've been using for years.
So if you are/were planning on getting a new set of cables I'd wait for these. Don't have any info on price yet.
It's good to see EFJ finally get to the 1990s and use USB for their cables.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
flat4turbo

Re: 5100/5300 USB Cables

Post by flat4turbo »

Nice. I've had flawless results using the generic Prolific Technology USB-to-Serial adapters with the EFJ serial cables that you can buy for about $10. There are TONS of companies using that chip in their cables/adapters.

Do you know what price point the new USB cables are at?

flat4turbo
Intrinsically Safe

not at this time. As soon as I hear of anything I will be sure to post though.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
Intrinsically Safe

I have heard that the 5100 cable should be around $100. Not sure on the mobile yet though.

I.S.
Intrinsically Safe

Just saw a preliminary price page and it looks like both mobile and portable cable will list for $150.
Not too bad I guess.

I.S.
Intrinsically Safe

I was at the APCO show in KC last week and was able to obtain a set of the USB cables for both the mobile and the portable from my 'inside' guy.
They work pretty well so far. I haven't run into any problems with them, which is a good sign. The drivers take forever to load though, which can be frustrating. If you plug the cable(s) into a different USB slot, it has to load the drivers again. Good thing my laptop only has 2 USB slots!!

They look just like the keyloader cables though so I now I have to try and keep my cables straight. AHH!!

I.S>