5300 programming question

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

mancow

5300 programming question

Post by mancow »

Is there a trick to programming these things? I mean what com port speed should you run, is there a programming mode you have to enter before the pc can talk to it and what CPS programs it? Is it PC Configure or the old PC Trunk?

The radio is one of the 110 watt remote mount 242-5326-261-AAAC models.

thanks

mancow
Intrinsically Safe

Re: 5300 programming question

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Baud rate should be at 19200 or higher (9600 WILL NOT WORK)
If you have dual core processor you might run into problems. If you do let me know and I can help with a work around.
They have a new RPI box that helps with the dual core processor issue, but otherwise you will have to use a USB-Serial device. Keyspan is the recommended maker, as they have the RS485 drivers built in where the cheaper ones do not.

Hope this helps, a little at least....

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
seleong

Post by seleong »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a similar newbie question. I have a 50W(?) UHF RS-5300, and I keep getting a communication error when I try to read the radio through the serial port RPI and using PC Configure. I have tried various baud rate settings with the same results. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I will check to see if I have a dual core processor if that might make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve KC6IJM
Intrinsically Safe

What version FW in radio and what version PCC are you using?

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
seleong

Post by seleong »

PCC Ver. 1.22.00, Boot Ver. 3.17.21 ; F/W Ver. 4.12.4

I am about to try another computer just in case ...

Thanks very much for your help!

Steve
Intrinsically Safe

You have a PCC to radio FW mismatch. PCC 1.22.0 is looking for a different File Format in the radio.
For 4.12.4 radio FW you will need PCC 2.8.4

I.S.
seleong

Post by seleong »

Ughh! Thank you very much for the information! Lilke I said, I'm a newbie to EFJ radios, and am just learning what is required to read and program these radios. It's very "interesting" (read frustrating) that PCC is so dependent on radio firmware versions. Kinda like the Motorola "Application too new" error in their RSS/CPS. I will start the search for the proper PCC version. I guess I need to find the one you've recommended for the RS-5300 radios, then other versions for the 5100/5100ES HTs that have several firmware versions too. One can amass quite a library of PCC versions to maintain just a few radios! What a headache!

Thanks in any case for your expertise - I really appreciate the help!

Steve KC6IJM