5300 audio problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

mancow

5300 audio problem

Post by mancow »

I have a Vhf 110 watt remote 5300 ( 242-5326-261-AAAC). I've just recently been able to find the right PCC and computer combo to get it programmed. Now that it's receiving some active channels I noticed that there is an audio problem. After a few minutes of being turned on the audio degrades. It sounds similar to a bad speaker and is really rough and grainy sounding. It slowly degrades to the point that you can't hear anything at all. A power reset will help but it will quickly degrade again.

I figure it's not a bad speaker because it does it with two different heads.

An ideas? It's an older version 2. something radio with the XTS3000 RF deck but it looks like new inside and out.
flat4turbo

Re: 5300 audio problem

Post by flat4turbo »

How do you have the face plugged in? Did you dash-mount it? Or are you using the RS-5300 as a true remote head? If using as a remote head are you using EFJ cables, or home-made?

You can get both line-level and amplified sound from the radio. There are three ways to get audio from a 5300.

1) Using the internal connector through a ribbon that goes comes out the body when using a dash-mount face (this is using the built-in audio amp).
2) Using using a remote head's built-in speaker by applying the loop-back jumper to the "Ext Speaker" plug on the pigtail in the rear. (I believe this is line-level)
3) Actually connecting an external speaker to the "Ext Speaker" plug. (May be Amp'ed)

Did you try using a remote speaker (#3), from the pigtail on the back? Remove the jumper you put on the pig-tail to re-route the audio internally and try a connecting an external speaker and see.

FYI: There are two differences between a dash-mount head and a remote head: a) The remote head has a built-in AF Amp, and b) has a deeper shell because of the extra space needed for the amp plus a resonant sound cavity.

-f4t