Johnson Newer 5100-Display Blank after self-test/TX-RX fine

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

elyps

Johnson Newer 5100-Display Blank after self-test/TX-RX fine

Post by elyps »

Here's my personal radio puzzle I'm hoping to get a little help in solving: I have an EFJohnson VHF 5100 now out of warranty that works fine TX-RX on Conventional/Trunking/Digital but the display goes BLANK after self-test. Radio powers on and shows that the LCD is fine with the EFJ logo and version info & self test shows...and then display goes blank. Buttons all work, backlight works, power hi-low works, read and write codeplugs without issue. I've tried starting with a new codeplug from scratch with PCConfig and it does the same thing as my pre-existing codeplugs: blank display. The guy who knew more about this radio as previous user/owner claimed that this problem started after doing a programming change, but couldn't elaborate. Current 5100 Details: File format ver 5.8 DSP Software Ver 4.4.1 Controller Ver 4.4.4 Hardware Rev NA Boot Load Ver 4.2 SEM Ver 3.4 Model 242-5117-660GS4 SN 5110F210xx xxxxx I've programmed this radio and another identical model number radio with PCConfigure V.1.28.0.8 & other identical radio has no such problem with the display. I have PCConfigure 2.10.2 for another band radio but said version of PCC won't let me load a new codeplug into this 5100 without pushing the firmware up to 4.14.4. Anyone happen to have any thoughts to share in my getting the display working after "self test?"...Many Thanks!
Intrinsically Safe

Re: Johnson Newer 5100-Display Blank after self-test/TX-RX fine

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Sounds like the display driver is crapping out (is it running windows? :lol: ) between the hand off from boot loader to controller code. I could only recommend updating to the latest firmware and see if they have fixed something with code. I have seen this a handful of times but cycling power would clear it and would never see it again...

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.