5300 w/handheld control-which connector for program plug?

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

elyps

5300 w/handheld control-which connector for program plug?

Post by elyps »

Hello; I'm getting on Monday some 5300 VHF 100W radios all with HHC. Will be trying to program & have proper RPI box and cables for PC and 5300 mic connector coming on Tuesday, however am missing the "HHC Programming Adapter" which is costly @ $200 retail and EFJ is out of stock. Would anyone know which run-of-the-mill connector I can use to connect to the 10-pin Programming Plug on bottom of HHC junction box? Also, can someone tell me which type connector the radio side of RPI uses? Essentially I have the pinouts for both plugs and want to make my own "HHC Programming Adapter" from parts if parts can be found as generic. Many Thanks--Mark
flat4turbo

Re: 5300 w/handheld control-which connector for program plug?

Post by flat4turbo »

I've not made this particular cable, but have made other custom HHCH cables.

If you have the standard flat ribbon cable-to-hirose male connector (normally for the RS-5300) that comes with the RPI, you can make your own adapter by cutting an old 40-pin IDE ribbon cable and ordering the Hirose female connector from DigiKey or Mouser (~$7). Make sure you also order the correct pins for the Hirose as they are sold separately from the connector and could be ordered in either gender.

Whole thing for <$15, or spend the $200 and wait a few months. 0-)

Good Luck.

-f4t