RPI Schematic Screwed????

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

kb0nly

RPI Schematic Screwed????

Post by kb0nly »

I have the schematic for the RPI, part no. 023-5300-000 and i built it to the "T"... I duplicated it from that schematic. But it still doesn't work, i'm trying to program a 5300 with it. I have a USB factory cable on loan but i'm losing that tomorrow morning, i begged the guy for one more night with it but he needs it tomorrow, so i was hoping to have my cable made by now, nope, can't be done from what i can tell.

Anyone have any clue as what the voodoo is behind the damn RPI that it can't be duplicated?? I built an exact copy components wise, even included the 8 position dip switch and set it according to the chart on the schematic, 1-3 on, 4 off, 5-6 on, 7-8 off. I have played around with different combinations of the dip switch and it doesn't work.

The computer is known good, its the same computer i always use with my RIB for Motorola CPS, and there isn't any com port issues. And if i use the factory USB cable i can read and write the two 5300's i have no problem.

I also sent this schematic to another guy and he built a couple cables based on it and sent them to me for testing, both of them failed to read or write the radio also. So i'm down three cables today and still can't get it to work, any ideas???
"Bite My Shiny Metal Ass!"
Intrinsically Safe

Re: RPI Schematic Screwed????

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Is your computer a dual core machine? If it is, you'll need the -001 RPI.
That is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head (haven't had my coffee yet!)

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Nope, i tried it on a few different computers now. A 1800Mhz AMD, 2400Mhz Intel (not a dual core), and even a 600Mhz Intel based laptop.

After testing it again..

I noticed that with the radio on, and the cable connected to the radio but not the computer that the busy led on the board is lit, is that normal for the busy light to always be on??
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Does anyone have the schematic of the -001 RPI then?? I could always try building that for the heck of it also i guess, i'm already into this project deep enough might as well keep the shovel out.
Intrinsically Safe

If you are seeing an amber LED then that is indicating a busy condition on the RS485 bus. Could be the control head, but most likely something on the com port, or what the RPI believes to be on the com port. The light should be green when in ready mode. When you rotate the channel knob or push buttons you will see the light flicker amber indicating data being sent.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

According the schematic it has a dual led, red for busy green for power, and i did that. So whenever the adapter has power the green has power, and the busy is always on so the red is always on, so i always have amber. That make sense??

I'm thinking about taking out the single led and putting in a red and green one instead. But even then i know the busy led will be continuously on because it has been since the first time i hooked it up.

And i tried three different radios and its the same, the factory cable worked fine though.

Just trying to figure out whats wrong here. I set the dip switches the way the chart shows on the schematic, do i have something wrong??
Intrinsically Safe

I know the factory RPI has a dual LED like you stated but it is an amber/green LED.
The only Red/Green LED in in the control head of the mobile. The portables have a Red/Amber/Green tri-color LED.

But in the end the colors don't really matter since it is just reporting information being fed to it. In your case it is telling me it sees some activity on the bus and therefore is having trouble making communication link.

I have never tried to build an RPI box. I know a couple of people that I have conversed with have tried as well but I don't know if they were successful or not.

I.S.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ok, well the schematic i have shows a dual red/green led so thats what i used when i built my RPI.

I will wait for the -001 schematic and give that a shot then!