5100 Battery Contact problems

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

kj5kb

5100 Battery Contact problems

Post by kj5kb »

Hi,

...new guy to radioinfoboard, but electronics tech for 20+ years...

I recently purchased a 5100, 242-5113-310-GF.

The radio would lock up anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes after turn on. Seems to work fine otherwise, haven't checked xmit on-air yet.

Looking at the 3 battery contacts on the chassis, the center one has a chunk missing out of it...such that it is concave at the tip instead of convex.

The battery appears to fit OK, the case-to-battery gap is the same all the way around. If I squeeze the radio & battery together at the bottom, the battery contacts work OK and the radio works fine. FWIW, the battery is NOS EFJ brand, and works fine in another 5100.

So...are these contacts fixable? I'm guessing it's a block with the 3 contacts in it, but I don't have acces to a service manual.

I guess the next questions would be...What's the part #, where can I get it, and how does the radio come apart?

I am aware of an EFJ dealer here locally (Cleveland OH), but want to do my research first.

Thanks!

Don KJ5KB
Intrinsically Safe

Re: 5100 Battery Contact problems

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

The part you are looking for is DES/LOC A035 PN 585-5100-017.
EFJ only sells parts to authorized service centers so you may end up having to go to a dealer to get the part.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

Hey I.S.
Thanks for the info!

Any tips on disassembling the radio?
I'm thinking there must be hidden screws somewhere...?

On second look, the "divot " on the battery contact is only 1-2mm deep...MIGHT try to build it up with solder as a temporary fix.

And on anther second look...the dealer I had in mind is not an EFJ dealer after all...my "local" dealer is in Columbus, 2+ hours away.

--Don KJ5KB
Intrinsically Safe

Taking it apart is pretty easy. The tricky part is making sure you don't wreck the Rf to logic flex when pulling them out of the sled to put the connector in.
I think the dealer in Columbus is J&K. THey are pretty decent and might even do it for you right there. It wouldn't take but 5 minutes for anyone with any experience with these radios.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

Taking it apart is pretty easy.
I hate to be the snart aleck new guy...but..HOW?

Hidden screws under labels, need to unhook tab a from slot b, or ?
Intrinsically Safe

Take a small flat blade screw driver and CAREFULLY pry between the rail and the plastic housing where the battery latch is. Don't jam the screwdriver in too far as you will smoke the logic board. When putting back together make sure you insert the screwdriver again or the connector that line up the two halves (the UI and Rf) mate up or you can damage one. This is the step most people omit, leading to horrific failure later.

IS
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try-carefully.

EFJ shows Comtech as the repair center in Columbus. Interestingly, Comtech's www site makes no mention of EFJ...

Thanks for the recommendation for J & K. May give them a try if I can't find someone in Cleveland.

--Don KJ5KB
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

The part you are looking for is DES/LOC A035 PN 585-5100-017
hmm...what's the likelyhood this is the same part as the XTS5000 battery connector, moto p/n 0985973B04 ?

ref:
http://www.wiscomm.com/MotoCatalog/XTS5000.pdf

That should be VERY easy to get ahold of locally.

moto also makes a disassembly tool for the 5000 that looks like it would work well on the EFJ 5100 (?)... 6685833D01
...if it's still available.
Intrinsically Safe

kj5kb wrote:
The part you are looking for is DES/LOC A035 PN 585-5100-017
hmm...what's the likelyhood this is the same part as the XTS5000 battery connector, moto p/n 0985973B04 ?

ref:
http://www.wiscomm.com/MotoCatalog/XTS5000.pdf

That should be VERY easy to get ahold of locally.

moto also makes a disassembly tool for the 5000 that looks like it would work well on the EFJ 5100 (?)... 6685833D01
...if it's still available.
The tool will work just fine. I have one and use it.

As for the XTS battery contact it will work with some trimming. MOT's is a little thicker I believe.
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

Thanks...I'll get those ordered and follow-up with my results
kj5kb

Post by kj5kb »

I did some cleanup on the battery connector...the "divot" turned out to be minor, mostly a burned spot.

I did open up the radio and inspect the connection from the battery contact to the board...a bit worn, but otherwise OK...might tin the pad on the board. But, I'm now thinking it's not the battery connection, but the connection btwn front -n- back. Squeezing the radio does force the halves together, and it works fine when I do so. I'm thinking about placing a pad of velco (soft side) between case and PC board on both halves.