EFJ 5100 "Bad band"

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

danneskjold

EFJ 5100 "Bad band"

Post by danneskjold »

I recently just picked up a used EFJ 5100 and it finally arrived today. I also bought a set of 3 used Moto batteries. I popped one of the batteries in and it turned on fine and everything, I then couldnt figure out how to turn it off so yanked the battery and then put it in the charger.
I pull it off a few minutes later (sounds like the battery isnt very good), and now it will sometimes turn but will just display the EFJ Viking head with "EF Johnson" below it. Same result with the other two batteries.
Only way I can get it to turn off is to yank the battery - the top side button doesnt do a thing nor do any of the other keys.

I finally got past that error by pressing down hard on the battery (like it wasnt seated correctly), however it goes through the self-test and comes back with "Bad Band." I know for a fact it went through and passed the self-check before, because I watched it - any ideas?

Thanks!
Intrinsically Safe

Re: EFJ 5100 "Bad band"

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

Bad Band just means the radio was programmed out of band. i.e. if this is a VHF radio and someone tried to load a UHF or 7/800 MHz codeplug in there you will get that message.
To clear you just need to load a codeplug from the proper band.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
danneskjold

Post by danneskjold »

By codeplug, do you just mean the global parameters?

I finally got ahold of some programming software...I tried it on VHF, UHF Low, UHF High, and 800mhz all with the same result - "Bad Band"

I am thinking this radio might be bricked :\
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

danneskjold,

Give us the following information:

1 - The radio model number if it has a sticker to help determine what band it is,
--- If there is no sticker, read radio parameters to get the serial number and give that

2 - What version the firmware on the radio is when you boot it

3 - What version of PCConfigure you are using to write the radio

-f4t
danneskjold

Post by danneskjold »

242-5133-410-BC

V 1.8.0

And I used PCConfigure v1.17 and v1.28.0.8

Thanks!
Intrinsically Safe

You need to load that with a UHF Lo (not UHF 380) code plug. This radio was introduced before EFJ got into the military band at 380MHz.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
danneskjold

Post by danneskjold »

I have...same result as before :\
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

Okay, forget the stickers and read in the serial number minus the last five digits, and let us know what it is.
danneskjold

Post by danneskjold »

40-51-33-41-00-0x-xx-xx
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

Okay, when you read the codeplug, is it in fact the last codeplug you wrote to it?

In other words we're checking to make sure it is in fact accepting the codeplugs you are writing out to it and not stuck with a bad one that was previously jammed into it.
danneskjold

Post by danneskjold »

Yes, I believe so.

When I have written to the radio, I have gone back through a few of the times and read the radio and it has come back with what I just wrote. The programming it came with had keypad backlight turned on, and when I do rewrite that to the radio (after having done another one), the backlight does work.

Thanks!
- Brian
flat4turbo

Post by flat4turbo »

Well,

This one is truly a tricky one, don't know why the radio is hung up unless someone tried to mess with the radio in a bad way.

Intriscally Safe should be able to confirm the firmware-to-PCConfigure version to verify you using matching versions. Aside from there being something awfully wrong with the versions you've chosen to use, I would try a firmware bump to the newest 1.x (which I believe is 1.8.14 or 15) and see if that works.

Next step beyond that would be to use the Tuning software to force the radio into the right band.

Beyond that, radio shop or spare parts. :-(

-f4t
Intrinsically Safe

Double Post.
Last edited by Intrinsically Safe on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intrinsically Safe

I am thinking there is a possibility someone has put an incorrect Rf Deck in the radio, or tried to retune the deck to be mismatch to the band it truly is. PCC will allow you to program and freq band in any deck, it is the radio that validates the deck against the what the UI board was optioned for at the factory. Try programming the radio with other freq bands and see what sticks.
danneskjold

Post by danneskjold »

I have tried putting other bands into it before with no luck either :\

Is there anyone/place I could send the radio to be looked at?

Thanks!