5100ES programming problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

MSS-Dave

5100ES programming problem

Post by MSS-Dave »

Hi guys..

Just got a 5100ES, model 242-512A-433JH6. Read fine with PC Configure 2.14.5 . Modified some of the contents in a couple of zones (RF frequency, PL, NAC etc..) then when going to write back, I fat fingered the command in the transfer dropdown instead of using the radio button. So, instead of mashing "Write Parameters to radio", I told it to "Write Application Code to Radio". I got no boxes asking for app code info like described in the PCConfigure manual so figured nothing took. Now the radio will not respond, I get the power up light but nothing else and that's only if I remove the battery then replace. Can't get version or options either. Tried different COM ports and baud rates with no change.

So... FUBAR? Need new flash? Send to EFJ? Guess I could beat myself in the head with it....

TIA

Dave :x
QuarterWave

Re: 5100ES programming problem

Post by QuarterWave »

What version of firmware is in the radio?

PCC 2.14.5 is meant to be paired up with 6.12.4 firmware in the portable ES line.
If you tried to burn a profile using PCC 2.14.5 to a radio with firmware NEWER than 6.12.4 you could have seriously PO'd the radio.

Since the radio is locking up before you see the "Self-Start" message on the display I would re-flash the radio.

Contact a local dealer of EFJ directly and price out the cost of having the radio re-flashed OR buying the software to re-flash it yourself.
MSS-Dave

Post by MSS-Dave »

Hi!

Thanks for your very detailed reply. EFJ direct wanted $400 something flat rate to reflash.

Unfortunately, a user on this board, efj44astro offered to do exactly what you say needs to be done for $40. I took him up on it. Too good to be true I suppose. That was 4 months ago. Since then, the turd has given several lame excuses and finally ignoring calls and e-mails. As of now, out the radio, $40 cash and a return USPS Priority Label.

Thanks for your info though, it may be helpful for someone else in the same situation.

Dave

P.S TO ALL..... BEWARE OF EFJ44ASTRO aka STEVEN J SNYDER OF PAOLI, PA OR HIS "BUSINESS" VIKING 2 WAY LLC.
QuarterWave

Post by QuarterWave »

Wow. That is just sad. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.