Trouble with programming a 5100 X Model II

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

jfandco

Trouble with programming a 5100 X Model II

Post by jfandco »

Hello all (especially the esteemed I.S.)... :) My fire department recently took an EFJ 800MHz 5100 series as part of a trade for some of our old wideband VHF equipment. We have been working with our county radio services to get the unit programmed for use on our trunked system here... Here's what I know so far:

Model number: 242-5172-810YK5
Firmware Ver: 4.14.5 (therefore PCC 2.10.2 req'd?)
Serial number (label): 5170F0207C xxxxx

Decoded:
5100 X Platform
Model II
700/800 MHz
700/800 MHz, 1/2 Wave
NiMH Battery Pack
Black
P25 AMBE+2
Conventional / SMARTNET II / SmartZone / P25 Trunking
DES/DES-OFB Encryption
256 Channels / Talkgroups

When I received the radio, I was told it had FPP as well, and I thought that was confirmed at some point by the EFJ dealer I've been talking to, but I can't find it in writing...but I do know that I was able to change a frequency or two from the front panel before I took the radio in to the county...and received it back as a virtual brick...so I think it has FPP enabled as well.

So... I took the radio into our county radio shop and he pulled out the necessary software, went back and forth with the regional tech manager for EFJ, etc., and told us the radio should work on the system -- Analog SmartNET 3600b (APCO 16) 800MHz rebanded -- without any problem. He worked on creating the template/file/whatever EFJ calls is, and then went to program it into the radio. The programming appears to go in just fine...but when you turn the radio on now, the radio flashes the logo and FW as normal, but then shows "B0" (bank zero?) and then Unprogrammed. If you hit the up button, it'll show B0 again, but other than that...nothing. He's tried turning features on and turning features off, etc...but can't get the radio to not say unprogrammed. He then took out all of the trunked system information and tried to just put in the state 800 mutual aid conventional channels, and the radio still does the same thing.

What happened to this radio?? Is there something we can do to recover it and get our system information into it so we can use this thing? Please help!! :)
n3obl

Re: Trouble with programming a 5100 X Model II

Post by n3obl »

Try adding a couple of zones into it. Ive seen some screwey things with an EFJ that had the programming removed.
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

According to your model this is what the radio should have in it:
700/800 MHz, 1/2 Wave (antenna)
NiMH Battery Pack
Black
P25 AMBE+2
Conventional / SMARTNET II / SmartZone / P25 Trunking
DES/DES-OFB Encryption
256 Channels / Talkgroups

As for the 'unprogrammed' issue this is one of two things:

1. The channel (quick select knob) is pointed to a channel that is not programmed in the software
2. The channel is programmed for a feature that is not turned on in the radio

The B0 you are seeing is the Zone Alias, and it appears it only has one zone. If you keep pressing the up/down rocker and that alias never changes then you most likely only have one zone programmed, unless they are all programmed with the zone alias.

The correct PCC for this radio is 2.16.3

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
jfandco

Post by jfandco »

Intrinsically Safe wrote:...

As for the 'unprogrammed' issue this is one of two things:

1. The channel (quick select knob) is pointed to a channel that is not programmed in the software
2. The channel is programmed for a feature that is not turned on in the radio

The B0 you are seeing is the Zone Alias, and it appears it only has one zone. If you keep pressing the up/down rocker and that alias never changes then you most likely only have one zone programmed, unless they are all programmed with the zone alias.

The correct PCC for this radio is 2.16.3

I.S.
Thanks for your response... The radio shop here worked with EF Johnson to get the right software, etc. When they programmed the radio with the trunking system information, it started doing the "Unprogrammed" thing...then they removed all of the trunking channels and just left a conventional bank programmed...and it still is doing it. Does this seem, in your opinion, like a simple configuration/programming issue, or could it be a failure of some sort?

The radio was reported to me as having FPP...and when I had the radio prior to sending to the shop for programming, it did allow me to change frequency information from the front panel. Could there be a conflict between what the software thinks the radio should have and what it actually has (like FPP?) that would cause it not to program correctly?

I really need to get this radio in service as we are short one for the fleet... Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

The "unprogrammed" display only comes up when:
1. An unprogrammed channel is selected
2. The radio is programmed to try and access a feature that is not enabled in the radio

If all 16 channels are indeed programmed then that leaves option 2.
You have stated the radio is programmed with a bank of conventional channels, so there isn't really anything in there that would cause that unless it was an analog only radio and the channels were programmed as digital.

The model sting you gave me indicates that this radio should have digital, and all the trunking options turned on.
I would see if you could do a Transfer>Read Option via PCC and see what is turned on and compare that to what is programmed in the radio.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.