EF Johnson/ADI 5600 Repeater

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

jburkleo

EF Johnson/ADI 5600 Repeater

Post by jburkleo »

Has anyone out there ever tried tuning one of these up for the 2 Meter Ham band?

I have one and was looking through the manual. It looks like with some minor re-tuning it should work there just fine.

Any suggestions on getting this going on 2 meters would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
mancow

Re: EF Johnson/ADI 5600 Repeater

Post by mancow »

I currently have one up and running on 147.390. They are 136-174 capable and require no tuning. They are actually quite advanced repeaters, every bit as much as the Quantar if not more. There is a remote diagnostic and monitoring program that will actually show you the power output, SWR and other parameters in real time. The modules hold 128 channels, are narrow, wide, mixed mode P25, secure capable, and can handle a mix of NACs, PLs or DCS. The only odd thing I have found is the CWID on mine doesn't seem to work so I use an outboard solution for that. The sensitivity is excellent. The only issue I've had with mine is the power control on the PA. For some reason it likes to spike to full power output at times despite what the programming indicates it should be. Then it will settle back down for a while and work normally. This isn't usually an issue unless you run an amplifier as I do. When it spikes the amp will push 260+ watts at times and cause desense due to it saurating the duplexer. I believe there is an issue inside my amp module that is causing this but I don't know what it is. You really can't beat these things for the price and the features they have. I first thought it was a double vocoded setup but realized it is truly regenerating the data and will pass unit IDs and whatever else.