5100 software issue

Forum dedicated to discussion on EF Johnson Radio products such as the VP8000, VP6000, VP5000, VM7000, VM6000, radios. Support for Armada software platform.

Moderator: willbartlett

ve3ib

5100 software issue

Post by ve3ib »

I have a 5100 portable radio set up on VHF. I recently purchase from EF Johnson radio control software and cable. I'm not able to view and download all the info out of the radio, so I need help.

The radio version info downloaded was File format version 5.7, DSP software version 0.1.14, Controller Version 1.6.0 and boot load version 1.8.
The radio displays V1.6.0 on boot up
The software version supplied was V1.28.0.8

The radio appears to operate normally
I'm able to read version info from radio and radio options off the software but I'm not able to read parameters from radio. (Radio config). I get an error "invalid file read/opened operation aborted" and the radio appears to re-boot. This happens after a very short time but I do see a small green portion appear at the bottom of the screen in the file size indication box.

Any suggestions

Jim jamesmcneil1959@gmail or james.mcneil@l-3com.com
Intrinsically Safe

Re: 5100 software issue

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

They sent you the latest version of PCC for that radio, but the firmware is REALLY old. The version of PCC you have is too new for the radio firware, the file formatting doesn't match up so PCC can't read it. If you just purchased that copy of PCC you can call them back and get the latest code updater for free to take the radio firmware up to 1.18.15 (which is what I would recommend) so that your 1.28.0.8 PCC will work.
Even if you have to buy the firmware update it is only about 30 bucks or so so pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.
ve3ib

Post by ve3ib »

Thank you for the information. If I get the new firmware version will I be able to download it to the radio. What is the process for downloading a newer version of firmware ? If I do it, will it affect the radios operation if I make a mistake
Intrinsically Safe

Post by Intrinsically Safe »

You just need the programming cable to load it. It is REALLY simple and you can't screw it up.
Instruction come with it, takes about 15 minutes to load the new firmware, piece of cake, done about 25000 of them myself.

I.S.
Sean Penn: Last year I went to Iraq. Before Team America showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.