Regency H256B Programming

Forum dedicated to discussion on RELM/Regency/Wilson Radio products
VE9MP

Regency H256B Programming

Post by VE9MP »

I need help getting my old H256B into programming mode....on another site it says you find Pin J-401 and short it (which I presume means you ground). So I ground it, attach the power supply and I attempt to go into programming mode by pushing "Pro Prio" and "10". This is where the screen is supposed to go blank and you can enter frequency/ctcss info, but when I ground that pin and push the buttons, nothing happens.

...where did I go wrong?

Also does anyone know the bandsplit of this radio, its currently on 155 and 158 Mhz frequencies...how high/low will it go?
----Nick----

It's more than just a walkie, Mr. Lahey.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

You need to locate and connect both pins of J401. Do not ground it.

The bandsplit is 150-162 with retuning. The b/w is 3 MHz for RX and 5 MHz for TX so you need to retune it within the bandsplit for your particular frequencies.
VE9MP

Post by VE9MP »

Thank You!

Got it going last night,...it didn't seem like it was working at first but some of the old flex connectors are getting up there in age which makes the keypad work/not work depending on the postion of the flex, but i fixed that and she's going good.

I can't figure out how to change the radio settings like TOT, off hook scan, etc. I need off hook scan enabled (i have no mic holder to ground the mic)...but for now a paper clip going from the ground pin on the mic jack to the case thru the mounting bracket hole works.
----Nick----

k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I only have the programming instructions, not a full service manual. I do not see any reference to a capability for off hook scan. You can configure Scan Delay and TOT from programming mode by entering a 3 digit code.

First digit Scan Delay:
0 = 0.7 sec
2 = 1.4 sec
4 = 2.0 sec

Second digit TOT
0 = disabled
1 = 30 sec
2 = 60 sec
4 = 90 sec

Third digit - (always 0)

Factory default is 000

While in programming mode, enter the 3 digits, press the ENTER key then the SCAN key.

This setting effects all channels. Options can not be programed per channel.

BTW - the instructions warn that you should always connect and remove the J401 jumper with the power off.
Two way repair man

Post by Two way repair man »

The older Regency and Wilson mobiles do not have Off-Hook-Scan capabilities.

Regards,

Bill

Also - These older radios can be modified and carefully tuned to operate over a 7MHz to 8MHz bandspread with only a little RX sensitivity and TX power degredation at the highest and lowest frequency.
VE9MP

Post by VE9MP »

Thanks for the info guys, I got her going good now.....

....this thing was already tuned for Rx at 155 MHz which is what I am using it for now, and i've been really surprised at how good of an receiver this old thing has. I can recieve repeater for a good 100+ km's
----Nick----

KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Bill, do you mind giving up the secrets to moding these units for greater bandwidth? I'd love to know how to do that.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
Two way repair man

RH256B mods

Brett,

I will be posting them for free on my web site within the next few weeks. The problem is that depending on the vintage (the week of manufacture), you could be adding, removing and changing up to 38 parts. It will take me a while to document everything.

Keep an eye out at:

http://www.billscommsol.com

Regards,

Bill
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Thanks, Bill, I'll keep a look out.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
VE9MP

Post by VE9MP »

KF4SQB wrote:Bill, do you mind giving up the secrets to moding these units for greater bandwidth? I'd love to know how to do that.
Bill, how far do you think it can go out of band? I was going to take it to my friend and give one a good alignment and see if I could get it down to 144-147 MHz....It will accept programming there, but puts out VERY little RF and it does receive, but again only if I'm transmitting from beside the thing.

I think I'll just wait for you to post those mods before i touch a thing
----Nick----

Two way repair man

Re: Regency H256B Programming

Nick,

If you go to my web site at the linked listed below you will find a small list of modifications that will allow the radio to be tuned down to 144MHz. The radio will need the VCO coil retuned to operate in the new frequency range. Both the receiver and transmitter will require realignment in order for it to perform. Some of the VCO and PLL mods might also be required depending on when the radio was manufactured.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Bill
http://www.billscommsol.com/reg-wil%20mods.htm