B/K Narrow band programming.......

Forum dedicated to discussion on RELM/Regency/Wilson Radio products
kmoose

B/K Narrow band programming.......

Post by kmoose »

Ok........just so everyone knows what I am asking.........

On the EPH series B/K portables, some radios are FlexMode radios, which means that they can be programmed either narrow band, or wideband, per channel. Apparently, if you have a keypad board installed, you need to have the newer microprocessor to do this from the front panel. If you have the old -100 microprocessor, you can only do it via the programming software. If you are nodding your head so far, you may be able to answer my question, which is:

If you program channel 14 as a narrow band channel using the software, then go back and edit the frequency(ies) via the front panel, does the radio default to wideband operation? Or does the channel remain narrow band, with the new frequencies?
Two way repair man

Re: B/K Narrow band programming.......

Post by Two way repair man »

kmoose,

If I understand, you are impling that you have installed the newer MP in an attempt to make a wide band radio into a narrow band/ wide band capable transceiver. Am I close?

If so, the early versions of the EPH do not have the "Flex Mode" capability, meaning it switches to narrowband filters in the narrow band mode and back to wide band filters in the wide band mode. Also, the transmit deviation is reduced to +/-2.5KHz in narrowband mode and in wide band mode it goes to +/-5KHz. There is much more to the differences than just the microprocessor.

I hope this helps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards,

Bill
kmoose

Re: B/K Narrow band programming.......

Post by kmoose »

Two way repair man wrote:kmoose,

If I understand, you are impling that you have installed the newer MP in an attempt to make a wide band radio into a narrow band/ wide band capable transceiver. Am I close?

If so, the early versions of the EPH do not have the "Flex Mode" capability, meaning it switches to narrowband filters in the narrow band mode and back to wide band filters in the wide band mode. Also, the transmit deviation is reduced to +/-2.5KHz in narrowband mode and in wide band mode it goes to +/-5KHz. There is much more to the differences than just the microprocessor.

I hope this helps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards,

Bill
Bill,

No, I have a Flex Mode radio. However, I am told that there were two different microprocessors used in the Flex Modes. The first Flex Modes were built with a -100 microprocessor. On these radios, you could only program the radio for narrowband operation via the software. This -100 microprocessor did not allow you to choose narrow band from the front panel. Once again, as I understand it, Relm manufactured Flex Mode radios with the -100 microprocessor from early 1994, until late 1994.

So, let's say I have a Flex Mode radio with the -100 microprocessor, and I use the software to program channel 14 as narrow band channel. Then, let's say someone else needs channel 14 for another purpose. They go behind me and program new RX and TX frequencies/tones into channel 14, via the front panel. At this point, once the new frequencies/tones have been entered via the keypad, is the channel still narrow band (as I had it set up via the software), or did it change it to wideband, when someone used the front panel to change the frequencies/tones?