Regency Micro-Com L61C

Forum dedicated to discussion on RELM/Regency/Wilson Radio products
SDenny61

Regency Micro-Com L61C

Post by SDenny61 »

Need help with a L61C. Trying to find any information on it but have not found any. Also need tuning instructions, trying to put on 52.680 for 6 meter ham. Thanks! 73s de Steve KD8BIW
SDenny61

Re: Regency Micro-Com L61C

Post by SDenny61 »

The only information I have so far is it is crystaled on 45.920, and appears to have a PL board in it. I'm guessing output of around 30 watts from the look of the componets in the PA. Anything else would be greatly appreciated!

Steve KD8BIW
Two way repair man

Post by Two way repair man »

The Regency MCL61C is only rated to operate to 50MHz. Transmit power is 60 watts with a maximum current of 15 amps at 13.6vdc. You will need crystals that meet the Regency requirements, including the burn in or aging to reduce frequency drift. The last time I checked a good quality cut of crystals was around $55 for a pair.

The limiting factor for both the receiver sensitivity and transmit power will be the low pass filter in the PA. I have tuned many of these radios at 49MHz and know that they run very hot at 60w. The PA heat sink is inadequate for most typical ham conversations. Also, because the low pass filter in the PA has a sharp roll off I doubt that you would get more than 15 to a maximum of 25 watts at 15 or higher amps. The receiver sensitivity will also be reduced to a of best 1.5 to 3 microvolts versus the typical .35 microvolts when tuned within the intended band.

You will need to find someone that still has a service manual. I do not have one as I have not seen any of the crystal units for service in at least 10 years.

Even though there is a lot of bad news with my reply, I hope it is helpful

Regards,

Bill
SDenny61

Post by SDenny61 »

Bill,

Thanks for the information. I'm woking now on a BTL unit for receiving a local 6m rptr used for skywarn. Thanks again!
Steve KD8BIW
Two way repair man

Post by Two way repair man »

Steve,

Good luck on the BTL. The low pass filter is not as sharp but the radio will become very spurious if it is not tuned carefully. If you see 20 to 30 watts and only 3 to 4 amps then it is not tuned correctly. The current should be pulling between 5 and 6 amps at full power. There is a method to the madness and a service manual is crucial to get the best performance. You will be tuning for the maximum negative peak. If it is spurious too long some of the tantillum capacitors and a transistor will pop and or burn up. I dodged many while sitting on the assembly line during the late 70's and early 80's.

I hope that helps.

Bill