XTR on six meters ?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Midland Radio products. (Questions/Instructions about modifing CB radios are prohibited)
redbird

XTR on six meters ?

Post by redbird »

I have a 70-0351C that I want to use on six meters. What is the rx and tx VCO voltage? Do you have any tips for getting best performance on 52 mHz? What is the part number for the windows programming software?
WB5ITT

Re: XTR on six meters ?

Post by WB5ITT »

You must change the programmer to allow freqs above 50MHz to be entered. Look for the CHL file...open it with any TEXT editor...scroll down and find the Band ranges with the upper and lower limits. Change the LOW A range from 42-50 to 42-54 and save the file. NOW the software will accept 50-54 Mhz freqs. When you program, the VCOs and rcvr front end will be out of range! Easiest way to adjust the VCOs is: program 53.99 TX and RX..then tweak the VCOs on that channel until they lock and lock consistantly. (Key the radio several times to make sure both TX and RX lock)...NOW you must remove the front end shield on the rcv coils (and it is a PITA!..it grabs UNDERNEATH at the bottom...if you can squeeze the middle and force the fingers to pop out, you can probably reuse the shield...but it is not needed (does save the slugs if they fall out though)...With the shield removed, retune the rcvr at 53.99 for best sens....it will be better at 52.525 but remember the front end is varactor tuned and follows the VCO voltage...so using 53.99 assures it will meet specs across the band DOWNWARD. You probably want to modify the PA stage to get better % out of it...The MIDLANDLMR list on Yahoogroups.com has that info...(wish everyone here was there...would be sooo much easier finding this stuff in one place!! and files, etc are there for the downloading!)

Chris
WB5ITT
Old Midland LMR tech
N3CHU

Post by N3CHU »

Chris, I changed the band limits in the XTR software and when I went to "save" it a window popped up saying"access to A:\XTR.CHL was denied" and I am wondering how to get around this problem?? any help appreciated. Davie n 3 c h u at atlanticbb dot net P.S. useing release 3.23
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Right click on that .chl file and click properties, then see if read only is checked. If it is then uncheck it and try to save it.
N3CHU

Post by N3CHU »

Thank you very much KA7WNF it worked. wonder if that will work on other Midland SW. Been trying to do the same thing on the VXR1000 SW thank you again. Davie n 3 c h u at atlanticbb dot net
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Glad to help Davie, 73's
johndonaldson

Post by johndonaldson »

I have a Midland 70-0351C already converted to 6M. Where can I obtain a copy of the programming software?

John
AB8YZ