MDX Antenna connector?

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
Prospect62

MDX Antenna connector?

Post by Prospect62 »

Could someone please tell me what the name is for the antenna connector on the MDX? Is it TNC/Mini-UHF/PL-259 oe what? I am so confused! Also, if anyone can help set me up with one, preferably with some kind of 800 mhz antenna attached to it, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!! :D
n_zero_ndp

Re: MDX Antenna connector?

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Prospect62 wrote:Could someone please tell me what the name is for the antenna connector on the MDX? Is it TNC/Mini-UHF/PL-259 oe what? I am so confused! Also, if anyone can help set me up with one, preferably with some kind of 800 mhz antenna attached to it, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!! :D
It's a TNC.
k5iq

Post by k5iq »

Definitely a TNC. It may be easier to find a BNC or UHF to TNC adaptor than to find an already cabled antenna with a TNC on the end. I've found both adaptors and loose TNC connectors at ham radio flea markets, but only within the last couple of years. Then again, I wasn't looking for TNC connectors before then! :lol:
Bob

K5IQ
WPXA535
New Orleans Open GMRS Repeater 462.575 MHz
GROL PG00015985
jim202

TNC connectors

Post by jim202 »

[quote="k5iq"]Definitely a TNC. It may be easier to find a BNC or UHF to TNC adaptor than to find an already cabled antenna with a TNC on the end. I've found both adaptors and loose TNC connectors at ham radio flea markets, but only within the last couple of years. Then again, I wasn't looking for TNC connectors before then! :lol:[/quote]

If you know of a radio shop that may have worked on some of the older trunk mounted cellular phones back about 5 or 6 years ago, many of them used the TNC connectors. Unless they house cleaned, you may be lucky and find some cables laying in the corner from the mobile installations. If you find the right person, they may even have a new one still in the bag. They would probably just give it to you or for almost next to nothing.

Jim
Prospect62

TNC

Post by Prospect62 »

Wow thanks guys. I never thought of trying a cell phone place, there is one right near me that did car phone installs. Great idea. Thanks again!
Prospect62

Post by Prospect62 »

Hey here's another question - If I find an old cell phone antenna, or buy a new cell phone antenna that covers 806-866, could I use that with an MDX EDACS radio? They are rated for less power obviously, but I don't ever plan on transmitting on EDACS. Thanks.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Prospect62 wrote:Hey here's another question - If I find an old cell phone antenna, or buy a new cell phone antenna that covers 806-866, could I use that with an MDX EDACS radio? They are rated for less power obviously, but I don't ever plan on transmitting on EDACS. Thanks.
it would work just fine...
only the on-glass style antennas were a problem with transmit power handling.
any mag mount or trunk mount 800 meg cellular antenna would not be a problem even on tx.
Glen W Christen

TNC

Post by Glen W Christen »

Virtually everything that MA/COM has produced for EDACS, except the RANGR (N-connector) uses the TNC.