GE*Star on PCS and MDX

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
kfd29

GE*Star on PCS and MDX

Post by kfd29 »

I am looking for information on the GE*Star ANI features on the PCS portables and MDX Mobiles if anyone knows much about them. Bascially we use a MDX for our base/dispatch and would like it to display the ANI info from both other MDX radios and the PCS portables we use.. anyone know if this will work and how to set it up? I wasn't sure if the MDX has ANI decode.
radio259

Post by radio259 »

:beer: I beleive you will need an external decoder. We recomend the Cimmeron Technology multiformat decoder.

With this one, you can decode multiformats: MDC1200, GStar, DTMF ANI, and I think fleetsync if I got it right. Cannot remember the cost, but it is a nice desk top unit.

They do have a web site you can check it out.

Paul B
apco25

Post by apco25 »

I do not believe GE-STAR was ever implemented beyond being sent to the console only and field units only receiving from the console.
"Some Men Just Don't Know Their Limitations"
Cowthief
No Longer Registered

GE*STAR

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

GE*STAR was actually developed by a company called coded communications.
It, like bramco, the supplier of the CTCSS and paging modules, was simply a 3rd party option.
Coded communications supplied a vehicle mounted unit that worked a lot like the Motorola MODAT unit.
There is one bit in the GE*STAR protocol that is set for vehicle or portable operation.
Even the GE PE/PY could be equipped with a paging option, GE*STAR or 2 tone trigger.
Remember, GE and Motorola were the big 2 in that era.
GE later bought RCA 2 way operations and went on to support some of the CCITT protocols RCA had invented.
This allowed for extending of GE*STAR functions.
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

The KMC mobile is the only GE radio that will decode GE Star. It was traditionally a console/dispatch function.

Lately Cimarron has made a chip that will snap into Vertex radios like the vx-920 that will encode and decode ge-star.

The newer radios have the ability to have a full featured system using GE star with features like emergency, man down etc.
mancow

Post by mancow »

Transcrypt has a module that will decode GE STAR at the console for ID and emergency purposes.