Windows Programming Software?

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
rsmitt54

Windows Programming Software?

Post by rsmitt54 »

My new laptop will not program my radios with the old DOS programs. I guess I'm looking for the Windows version of Programmer, TQ-3389 or something like that.

[Please let me know where to buy this software...]

Thanks in advance,

Bob

[ added the above line for clarification - admin]
jim202

Re: Windows Programming Software?

Post by jim202 »

Kind of a bland question, but hope your trying the programs in a true DOS mode and not from the promt inside WINDOWS. Try using a DOS bootable disk in the A drive.

Jim

[quote="rsmitt54"]My new laptop will not program my radios with the old DOS programs. I guess I'm looking for the Windows version of Programmer, TQ-3389 or something like that.

[Please let me know where to buy this software...]

Thanks in advance,

Bob

[ added the above line for clarification - admin][/quote]
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Your best bet may be to pick up an older computer for your radio programming. You see 386 and 486 machines on EBay from time to time. Then you can load DOS on it and make it a dedicated programming computer.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
rsmitt54

Post by rsmitt54 »

The biggest problem I'm having is that we have several types of radios that I regulary program, and the software for two of them are Windows based that I run on an XP laptop. We also have two GE models that I have to use the DOS programs for. To complicate matters, the Dell laptop I have to use doesn't have a serial port so I'm using a USB to Serial adapter. After much tweaking, I've gotten it to work fine with the programming software, but it doesn't have a DOS driver so it won't work when I boot into DOS. I really don't want the hassle of using two different laptops to program radios with as I have to lug this stuff in and out of 25 different vehicles to do mobiles and portables. I do this service for free for a local department, and our combined budget isn't very much. Hope this explains it better...
1 ADAM 12

Dual boot set ups

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

Try an internet search for dual boot XP and DOS and see what you get... Several different ways to do this... heres one linkhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... iboot.mspx

I have a older Dell pentium I use for DOS and WIndows programming and have it set up at boot to go to DOS before windows.. works great...
Also check if you have an option in the bios for the DELL to let the speed be selected base on program requirements. This works well >>> :beer: :beer:
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The lack of a serial port is a real show-stopper for DOS based programming. The use of a USB to serial adapter is very risky along with not booting into DOS. It would be fatal with most Motorola DOS software. GE is a little more forgiving but you really run a risk of something going wrong during programming due to some other process running under windows that corrupts the data and then you have a dead radio.

I really recommend you get an old 386 or 486 as a dedicated programming computer.
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

One option for your serial port problem is a PCMCIA to serial adapter, if your laptop has a PCMCIA port, that is, and most newer ones do. From what I understand about this type of adapter, it does not 'emulate' a serial port like a USB adapter does, but is rather the real deal. Maybe someone else can give you some more info.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

I have the Macom Windows programmer software. It works well but it will not program the older conventional radios like PCS, MPA, MPD etc.

It will program the 800mhz and EDACS versions of these radios, even if you want conventional only.

The only solution is find an old slow computer that will run the old dos software. I bought a compaq laptop 486 off Ebay for $10 and it is dedicated to radio prgramming. Its not a waste because it does most of my Big M radios as well as some Vertex stuff.

Just make sure any computer you get has a serial port on it. the USB adapter work, but not really well. They are flakey, when it comes to programming radios.
Splat

Post by Splat »

I will tell you this. The PCMCIA serial adapter does NOT work in DOS. Yes, it should be a tap right onto the bus, but it's not. I've tried my SIIG card on mine, my brother's, and my two buddies' laptops and the SIIG PCMCIA serial card did not work in DOS 6.22 on any of them. These were all different brands of laptops. I've never seen anyone actually use a PCMCIA serial card to program any radio from DOS. MOF, I don't recall anyone stating they've successfully accomplished this, either. If there's a PCMCIA serial card that works in DOS, and states that emphatically, then I'd like to know about it.