GE/ M_PA EDACS / DISPLAY LOCKUP

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
unclbull

GE/ M_PA EDACS / DISPLAY LOCKUP

Post by unclbull »

HELLO EVERYONE,
I have a M-PA with the display screen showing 8 o's across and all the 16 status flags highlighted. This radio will not accept a RIB box at this time.
I wonder if the radio is locked up! What do you think.
Please help!!!
Thanks
Bill

EDIT: This radio is an edacs 800meghz system.
It is supposed to be programed. I wonder if the LID # is not right that the local system will not allow it to receive?

If this is not the correct way to respond to my own message, please let me know
Bi
Last edited by unclbull on Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vcaruso

Post by vcaruso »

Tell us a little more about the radio.
is it an edacs?
model #?
unclbull

M-PA EDACS/ Display Lockup

Post by unclbull »

My radio is an M-PA meghz EDACS 16 key System radio.
The display flashes or dims off and on
vcaruso

Post by vcaruso »

Did this just start?
it sounds like the radio was locked out by the system admin.
unclbull

Post by unclbull »

I just received this radio, it was to be programed receive only for me, and a random LID# was installed.
mike m

Post by mike m »

If the radio display is flashing and not beeping then it is a personality problem. If the radio display flashes and the radio also beeps then it can also be a synthesizer unlock condition.

Open the radio up and see what type of controller board it has in it, the controller is on the front half, the rf section on the rear half. You will need to remove the metal shield over the controller section to see the board type.

Look for the controller board number, most likely it will end in either an 081 or 628 series number with some lettered revision number which isn't important at this stage. I'm thinking yours is an 628 controller and the lithium battery is dead thereby losing the personality information. The 081 controllers do not have a backup lithium battery by the way.

If it is a 628 board and the battery is dead all you need to do is replace the lithium memory backup battery and reprogram the radio with the personality info, which you can get from the original person who sold it to you or you'll need to start from scratch and enter all the trunking info yourself.

If your controller is a 081 version which has a eeprom in it and no backup battery then it gets more complicated but in 99% of the cases of flashing displays and no beeping it is the backup battery and those darn 628 controllers losing their personality information.

A way around having to constantly replace backup batterys on the 628 boards is that you can always keep a battery pack on the radio, this way the backup memory current comes from the battery pack and not the lithium cell thereby extending the life of the lithium cell for only periods when you are swapping battery packs. This is supplied even when the battery pack switch is in the off position so their is always some discharge of the battery pack but it is in the half mA range or less if memory serves me so ther is not much to be concerned about as to running a battery pack down even when it's powered off.

Mike
unclbull

800 EDACS M-PA Display / Lockup

Post by unclbull »

Ok, I opened the radio and found that I have a 19D902628G1 REV C Controller board. Where and how do I get to the lithium battery?
By the way, I had to remove a stripped screw on the back cover to get this radio apart.
Awaiting your help so as to continue.
Thanks in advance
Bill